Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE has made me a snob - but I faked it

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today in a nearby town a large tool distributor retail and catologue company called A & I held their annual customer appreciation day and several manufactures had they traveling teams there. It clearly was a male kind of thing and being the hometown of Caterpillar Tractor the people there were a cross section of home mechanics, construction workers and wood working enthusiaists from white collar to blue collar. Anyway besides the demos and the display of the DeWalt winning stock car the retailer also served free lunch which consisted of what was touted as pulled pork BBQ. I can't tell you how often I heard comments from folks about how great that BBQ was...to which I kept my mouth shut so as to not gag and pulled my best slight of hand to pitch that sandwich and plate undetected of course so some Bubba-type dudes wouldn't bounce my head for not agreeing...
Talk about people who are clueless I think I understand why some dudes at fast food joints don't know when they passed through their hamburger and are now eating the container! Yup, slurp, damn good BBQ, ain't it?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    RRP,
    Sadly, for many barbecue is just the sauce that gets put on the meat. You could boil the pork, and if the sauce is good, it's good barbecue.[p]We are snobs, and we have a right to be! We KNOW good Q!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Good Lord! Does this mean we will be forming a BBQ Snob 12 Step Meeting? I can hear it now, "Hi, may name is Sundown and I'm a BBQ Snob. . . " Is The Fourth Step going to require us to write down all of our successes or failures?
    "I've spent the last 5 years feeling sorry for my neighbors so I've eaten BBQ from my Egg alone in my kitchen."
    ANOTHER ARM OF THE CULT HAS BEEN BORN!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    when i made my first pulled pork, a friend of mine was over for the unveiling.[p]he had a bit more true barbecue experience than me (I'm a yankee, for whom bbq meant ribs on the grill with sauce,. hey, what did i know?)[p]anyway
    i took the butt off and was dismayed. it was all black. then when i pulled it, it looked all wet and stringy.[p]he's was drooling and eating the thing hand over fist while i kept asking "are you sure it's the way it's supposed to be?" the whole time he's "mmm... o my god. " hahah[p]flash forward to a cookout over a friends. the wife said she made pulled pork, and my ears perked up.
    man i'm dying for some...[p]turns out she bought a pork tenderoin and cooked it in a crockpot with a jar of sauce. everyone was raving. [p]i mean, sure, it was good, and i'm thankful for the food, but 'barbecue'? yikes. how's a yankee supposed to know?[p]the whole time, she was asking "well, i don't like it, what should i do differently?"[p]oh boy

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante