Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is your recomended time to smoke/cook a 14-20 lb turkey.

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Fitz,
    I typically use 10-12 min per pound at 325°.

• Shelby,
    I am a new BGE user. I have cooked a 4# chicken and a 12# turkey on vertical roasters. With both fowl I have experienced a failure to achieve desired end point meat temperatures of 180 degrees while utilizing an oven temperature of 300 degrees. I cooked the chicken for two hours and the digital meat thermmter did not demonstrate any gain for the last 30 minutes. The turkey 14.4# was cooked for hours and 15 minutes at 300 degrees at which time the meat teperature had advanced only 2 degrees in the final 30 minutes. The read meat was not done. There was som charcoal remaining and the oven temperature was holding at 300 degrees to the end. The terminal meat thermometer (digital) registered 171 degress. What would you recommend be done to obtain an end meat tempature of 180 degress in the presence of an external heat gauge of 300 degrees?