Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt and Texas Heat

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am 8 hours into a Boston Butt. Cooking temperature has been about 235-240 for most of the afternoon here in Dallas. I put it on at 1:00 pm. I am trying for an early morning finish (6:00 am) so I can take to the office for lunch.

Grill has been in the sun and I am not sure I even needed to light it with the Texas heat!

Internal temperature is 162 and I am hoping the 6.2 lb butt will last until 6:00 am; I want my sleep.

If it hits 195-200 at say 4:00 am will it dry out the meat if I continue to sleep until 6:00 am?

Thx.
__________ Chris

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Butts are VERY forgiving.You oughtta B fine.I hate all heat that is not BURNING LUMP! :)
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I don't think theres any way it's making it till 6, with the kind of results you want!

At 6...you're looking at 3 hours per lb.. :blink:

Remember....smaller butts (like yours) are much less forgiving than say a 9 lbr!

Do you have a polder?

If so..I'd bring it in...put it in a pre warmed oven...@ lets say 250...and cook it itll it hits 195. Yank it out...wrap it in double foil,
    and place in a pre warmed cooler with as little empty space as you can by stuffing it with towels or foam rubber..and go back to bed!

I'd wager you're loking at this thing being done by 1:00 or so...(if it makes it that long).

JMO!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Cook lasted till 6:00 am and turned out great! Thx for the advice.
    __________ Chris