Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the rain

Options
olblue
olblue Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today is a dreary drizzly day in Annapolis. The kind of rain where you turn the windshield wipers off and on every couple miles.[p]I don't think that kind of rain would hurt the egg, but what about a sudden downpour. When thunderstorms are forecast, does Mollyshark use her egg down in Texas?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    ol-blue, I would sure like to see one of those downpours...I would push me BGE right out there and cook me a duck...! Kidding of course, we had a .65 inch rain over the last few days..and that was the best rain since last year I think. Midwest is hurting. Buy corn and bean futures.
    Answer is..the BGE is weather proof, but I still use a cover when in storage. I cook in rain, snow, sleet, and sunshine.
    Happy Q to you..C~W[p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    ol-blue,
    Well of COURSE I egg in the rain. And hail. And whatever else happens to blow in. This is a land of extremes. There are now billboards and bus benches around town stating "No Gusts..No Glory." Other than that last tornado when it was like a scene from Wizard of Oz in my backyard, I've never let a little weather deter me. Heck..I'd starve! Only think I do is keep the daisy wheel on in a downpour! That acid rain flavor is hard on a roast.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    THING girl, not think. (musta been the Sake)
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ol-blue,[p]I have done some fine grilling in the rain. My wife watches the weather channel and decides to cook outside if its going to rain. I caught on after about a year - yep, it works fine in the rain.
    Two rules of thumb:
    Always leave the rain cap on - not a daisy top since it will leak and you don't wan't wet lump.
    Never light it in the heavest part of a rain storm. Its hard to light the lighter in a heavy rain - use an umbrella if you need to.[p]Enjoy the drissle - my lawn loves it down here![p]Tim[p]