Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Corn Chowder

eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Corn chowder is one of my favorite soups. I stopped by a local farm and they had just brought in a load of just picked corn! I decided to make a corn chowder to try out my new corn cutter. I've always boiled the corn in the past, but decided to roast the corn for a change.

Silver Queen corn, 16 ears:
IMG_3913.jpg

Roasted corn direct at 400 or so and applied melted butter while roasting:
IMG_3916.jpg

While stripping the kernels I decided to roast a red pepper and a vidalia onion:
IMG_3921.jpg

New corn cutter from bill:
IMG_3978.jpg

Stripping the corn kernels:
IMG_3934.jpg

BooBoo:
IMG_3927.jpg

I took 2/3's of the corn kernels and added 3 cups of heavy cream and 5 cups chicken broth, and chopped onion to the pot and brought it to a simmer for 10 minutes and added S&P to taste. I decided to wear my yellow polka dot apron to keep with the corn theme:
IMG_3942.jpg

The soup was pureed in the food processor, then I combined it with the reserved 1/3 of the kernels (with a small amout set aside for garnish). The red pepper was pureed with some olive oil and chopped some chives for garnish.

The corn chowder is served:
IMG_3973.jpg

This corn chowder is distinctly different from the boiled corn chowder. The nutty, roasted flavor really shines through. This is a very versatile soup. I seldom use heavy cream, but I had it on hand after making some peach shortcakes. To make it less rich you can decrease the cream, use a lighter cream, or even completely replace it with chicken broth. You can make it very refined by pureeing all of the corn. You can make it more rustic by reserving more whole kernels. The only essential is great corn!

Comments