Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

La Bomba vs Bomba Calabrese

Options
Grillin Guy
Grillin Guy Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For anyone interested, here's my opinion of how the Coluccio Bomba Calabrese compared with the Alessia La Bomba.

First of all, you get more La Bomba for about the same cost. La Bomba was 280 grams vs 190 grams for the Bomba Calabrese.

fecfe903.jpg

Texture was fairly close. The Bomba Calabrese (on top) might have had a slightly richer color then the La Bomba (on bottom), but that might have been because I had opened the La Bomba on Friday and had it stored in the fridge, whereas the Bomba Calabrese just arrived today and was room temperature.

213bf2ef.jpg

Ingredients listed on the Bomba Calabrese

a6117015.jpg

Ingredients listed on the La Bomba

da401437.jpg

I found the Bomba Calabrese to be slightly hotter then the La Bomba. When served on crackers, I preferred the La Bomba to the Bomba Calabrese. Angel said that she thought the La Bomba had a slightly more olive flavor then the Bomba Calabrese but neither had the "tinny" taste that I had read about.

I decided to see how they would stack up against a plethora of flavors so heated some left over, sliced New York Strip in olive oil and butter and served that on pita bread with sauteed onions, sliced tomatoes, sour cream and chives. Here it is with the La Bomba.

c0827023.jpg

And here it is with the Bomba Calabrese.

ccb44355.jpg

With all those flavors thrown into the mix, I definitely preferred the Bomba Calabrese. Neither of them overpowered the sandwich, but the Calabrese flavor had a bit more spice and a very distinctive flavor.

All in all, both of them were a tasty condiment and would love to be able to get either of them locally. Alas, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon I fear and at ten bucks a bottle , the insurance business isn't good enough for me to be able to afford either on a regular basis.

Comments