Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Weight distribution question

edg1edg1 Posts: 86
edited 10:46AM in EGG Table Forum
Hi All,

I have my egg in a short table, and I want to expand the table, because it is too small.

One fairly inexpensive way to do it would be to put a sheet of 4x8 plywood over the top. The existing table top is 2x3.5.

If I use 1/5" plywood, would that be OK? I will not be putting the (large) egg on this surface. Just food trays and stuff like that. It's the 2' overhang that concerns me.

Thoughts & opinions welcomed.

edg

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,670
    edg1,

Never heard of 1/5" plywood. Unsupported it won't take any weight.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• edg1edg1 Posts: 86
    Uhh.... I meant 1/2" or .5" :whistle:

Thanks for the catch.

edg
  • how about a fold down shelf?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=124
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    1/2" ply would work, as you said your supporting only food trays. A corner bracket will add support. I'll suggest that you glue on some solid wood edge banding strips to the edges of the plywood. Much easer on the eyes, if you know what I mean. Use water proof glue such as polyurethane or Titebond III. Sand and seal the wood with an outdoor finish to complete your modification. Good luck!