Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saffron

Options
reccitron
reccitron Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After seeing Grillin & Chillin’s post on paella, I have decided to give it a try. I ordered a paella pan and some saffron. I’m going to use Hoss's BBQ’s recipe. It calls for 1 ½ tsp Saffron threads.

I’ve never used saffron and it isn't here yet. Looking at the pictures it doesn’t look like the threads will fit in a teaspoon very well. Do you chop it up to make it fit? It looks delicate, if you chop it will you lose flavor?

Thanks,

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i think you measure saffron by counting threads, im thinking maybe 12 to 18 for a 13.5 inch paella but that may be high
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    You can chop it to help measure or you can eyeball it. I'm not aware that chopping compromises it Someone else may chime in on that.

I am very aware of how strong a flavor it is though. It is very strong. I never really get too wound up about exact measurements with spices but with saffron, I always use less.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That's the way to do it. I never measure anything but I read it somewhere :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Essex County
    Options
    You don't need to chop saffron. It will color and flavor the paella just fine as is. I've never measured it. Just grab a reasonable pinch. One-and-a-half tsp is a little less than a gram according to Penzeys.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I just grab a pinch of threads for paella. Never really measure exactly but I would guess I use 12-15 as an average in a 14" paella.

I like to lightly toast the threads first before I put them in the stock. I believe this coaxes more flavor and smooths it a little.
  • reccitron
    Options
    Essex County wrote:
    You don't need to chop saffron. It will color and flavor the paella just fine as is. I've never measured it. Just grab a reasonable pinch. One-and-a-half tsp is a little less than a gram according to Penzeys.

I ordered from Penzeys catalog and didn't see the conversion (1 gram equals 2 tsp. whole). I only ordered the 1/2g jar. I guess I'm going to be 1/2 tsp short.

Think I should make the recipe as written - 1/2 tsp of saffron or should I scale all the ingredients for the amount of saffron? I'm thinking I should make it without scaling.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Go for it with the saffron you've ordered. One tsp should be fine. If you do it a second time, use more saffron and see if you can tell the difference!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    Saffron's mad about me
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    She's just mad about me

They call me mellow yellow
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    reccitron: I don't know where in the States you a located, but I would be absolutely amazed if you could not find saffron in the spice section of your supermarket. There is a brand called Badia, which sells very reasonably priced saffron. The threads are slightly smaller than the 'superior' grades, but the flavor is definately there.
    Hope your paella is amazing!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have used the threads, as is, in paella but toned it down just a bit.
    I would go with the recipe and just use what you have…It will have great flavor and be wonderful, no matter.
    And…Not to hijack this thread, but I have to wonder about making the “lacquer” (sp?) and using that. The market that I have gotten saffron at in the past recommends that practice??!! Any input?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    M&M Potatohead: Lacquer? As in like steeping the threads? You lost me on this one...lacquer like a glaze? I am not understanding the question. :S
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    See how the spelling can throw a person way off!!??!! I did question my spelling :blush: .
    I now see that a “lacquer” certainly could / should be seen as more of a glaze.
    Where I'm going is a steeping process, so I guess it is more of a “liquor” kind of a thing...Yes?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    :laugh: That's what I thought you were referring to...and yes, I always steep my threads unless it is going into a soup, which will steep the threads without assistance. Of course that beautiful steeping liquid goes right into the meal! And it certainly doesn't have to be water, but broths or stocks, wine, tomato water, etc.
  • reccitron
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    We call it Pot Lickker.As in peas,greens,etc.The juice these have cooked in.So good you lick the pot to get the last drop! :laugh:
  • Saffron is strong, which is a good thing as it is expensive as hell. Each of those pistils of crocus has to be plucked by hand.

One great way to employ it is to soak the required amount of saffron threads in milk. Evaporated works, fresh whole milk as well. If you won't use milk, soy milk will do.

The key is that the protein and fat in the milk extract the essential oils and dyes in the saffron and at the same time, allow you to distribute it more evenly in your paella or biryani or whatever you are cooking or baking. A quarter cup of milk plus your saffron, soaked for 15 minutes does the trick.