Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, Brisket, Brisket....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK folks, had my egg for about 4 months now and have had some mixed endings (can't rush perfection!).
I am finally ready to try a brisket that I have had waiting in my freezer for about 1 month now.
It's a 6 lb. brisket that I am using my own rub on and I am confused as to how long it should cook. I have been skimming through the forums, reading some books, reading the manual, etc. And I am still confused as to temp and time! Please advise (and be gentle as I am still very much a newbie!).[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Randy
    Randy Posts: 28
    Options
    goldmantx,
    I usually cook mine at 250 until the internal temp is at 190-200. I cook over indirect heat via a drip pan and a couple of fire bricks.

• Randy,
    I brught the temp up to about 250 already. It is on a v-rack over a drip pan. How long should I expect it to take?[p]Thanks!
    Eric

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    goldmantx, Your getting good advice..Briskets have a way of being different in nature depending on the animal it came from. I like to wrap mine after it reaches the 190 - 200 area in foil and place in a cooler chest wrapped in towels
    for half hour or so. [p]There have been some excellent post's on slicing against the grain for serving..Not sure if it was Gfw or Tim M that illustrated it in pics..[p]You can do brisket either direct or indirect. In direct will take a bit more time. Yours should be done in about 12 hours. Your doing great..should have no problems. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    C~W

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    goldmantx,
    Do you have a polder? [p]I don't really know how long it should take. I would guess maybe 8 hours, but if you have a polder you can see how fast the temp is climbing and calculate the time it will take.[p]

• cintel
    cintel Posts: 6
    Options
    goldmantx,[p]I used Nature Boy's recipe of 225 degrees for 2.75 hours per pound on Christmas Eve. Cooked that baby for 20 hours but oh was it incredible - soft, tender, moist. Also used a rub of equal parts of celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, white sugar, paprika, and brown sugar.

• James,
    Just bought a polder this afternoon. Going on 5 hours at 220 degreesnow and internal temp at about 156 degrees. Trying to figure out what internal temp should be. My guesstimate would say that about 160 should be right, but it's just a gues...[p]Thanks all, I'll let you know how it turns out![p]Eric

• goldmantx,[p]You're about at the point when the internal temp will plateau for several hours. Not to worry. This is a sign that the internal fat & collagen are changing from solid to liquid, which is what makes this tough cut tender. [p]Every brisket I've cooked has behaved a bit differently, even if they were about the same size, weight & thickness. Some hit that plateau after 4 hours; some take 6. Some are tender (a fork stuck in the meat twists easily) at 185; some at 200. That's part of what makes the process fun![p]Sounds like you're doing great - nice to have you with us.[p]Cathy
  • mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    goldmantx,[p]There is no such thing as a 6 lb. brisket. You probably have the flat cut section from a brisket.[p]Mike
  • Mike,
    You are right, it was a flat cut section. Thanks for the correction.[p]Eric