Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Change Gasket on brand new egg

Cookin Corvette Doug
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just purchased my first egg (XL BGE). Dealer recommended that I change to a Nomex gasket before it is ever fired up. Since I am new to this, any thoughts?

Comments

• Seems strange that the dealer didn't just do it for you. I would cook with standard gasket as long as you can then swap to the Nomex.

Will be interested in what others have to say.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    That's inane. What Egg school did he attend? Cook on Doug. Go lo n slo for about 10 cooks, you'll be ok. Egg dealers, LMAO. He prob. never has seen "The Forum". I DO NOT know all and never will,but the forum teaches me every day so I can better serve my customers. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    CorvetteDoug wrote:
    Just purchased my first egg (XL BGE). Dealer recommended that I change to a Nomex gasket before it is ever fired up. Since I am new to this, any thoughts?

CorvetteDoug, Welcome to the forum a place where you will never stop learning.

I would think if the dealer said go to nomex before using your egg he would have changed it for you. :unsure:

I say why not use your egg and enjoy it's special goodness when cooking food. Then if you come across problems deal with it then.

As for me I have two large eggs. My first gasket got sauce on it then when it cooled and I opened the dome it stuck and stretched the heck out of it so I changed it using felt again. Then the adhesive failed so that is when I went to a nomex gasket. No problems in over a year with that egg. My other egg never had a gasket issue and is pretty much worn out. I may or may not change it. A gasket has it's good points like being there as a cushion when closing the dome and when shutting down your egg to put out the lump fast. The gasket is not such a critical component when it come to cooking on the egg. There are a lot of folks who don't worry about the gasket unless it stops you from cooking on your egg.

What is your first cook? Take pic's and post them with the cooks. This is a great forum and I think if you use it as a learning tool you will be the better egghead for it.

Welcome again and enjoy your new friend. Tim B)
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Welcome to the forum... what a great start for you...

agree with above post about terrible dealer statement....

Like others, I started with a few small cooks and nothing high temp (under 400) when I first got my Egg.. I also avoided using the plate setter in the legs down position for pizza till my gasket became hard from cooking. Now 5 years later, still have some gasket left in a few places, leaks a little smoke on a low/slow in a few places, and don't want to worry with all the issues people post about gasket failure.

You bought the Egg to cook on! The gasket it came with will work fine. Grill some yardbird, do a butt, flip some burgers, host a hot dog cook, enjoy - enjoy - enjoy... don't let the OCD gasket crowd freak you out. It way overrated.....
    Kent Madison MS
  • Thanks for all the info, I can't wait to get the egg, set it up and cook, I'll keep you posted.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Tell the dealer to give you the nomex at no charge and you'll think about it when you get home...that way you'll have a replacement if and when you ever need it..silly advice from them either way...