Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

give the dog a bone.....

tjvtjv Posts: 3,311
edited 8:44AM in EggHead Forum
do you feed your dog bones from your cooks.....smoked babybacks today......wondering if it would be ok to throw a couple bones the dog's way.........

t
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Sure. I give my dogs rib bones all the time. I've always been leery with chicken bones, because they can splinter. However, from time to time, the dogs will steal chicken bones from the garbage. They've never had a problem.

Let dogs be dogs. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Tom, my dogs know better than to come between me and a steak bone so they insist on their own cook

101_2337.jpg

101_2338.jpg

plated on the fine china with dessert above

101_2339.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Having dobermans with narrow throats most of my life I don't give them any bones that might splinter, and also being that they are inside dogs they rarely leave me any surprises :whistle:
    ·
  • Looks to me to be a bad idea particularly when they are low and slow cooked bones.

Looks like a decent article:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bones-To-Feed-Your-Dog
    ·
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,840
    You are a man who loves his dogs! Great pic!
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,391
    Pat, keep all the dogs away and wait just a minute while I get my marrow spoon and some salt! :)
    ·
  • AngelaAngela Posts: 461
    We don't usually, but that is because our dogs are on a raw diet anyway so they get plenty of bones.
    ·
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I don't think that pic will make the cover of the Dizzy Pig news letter :lol:
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,286
    Tom,

Won't kill the dogs but you will not like tomorrow :sick:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,328
    NO! I love/and have loved all my dogs too much to go through that pain. Another thing I don't/haven't given my boys are those animal hoofs! My vet says those thing will "gum up the gut" for sure!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,200
    I have always understood that one should not give dogs table scraps. Not sure what the reasoning is, but I have had three dogs over the years and none were ever given any "people food". Each lived to be 12-13 years old, so I guess it must've been okay.

Maybe it's perfectly fine for all I know. Call your vet and ask, or maybe our resident vet here will chime in.

Just my 2¢...
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    My vet says any large animal's femur is okay. Definitely no chicken bones. I give my dog beef femurs all the time. He loves some marrow!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    I make Zoe her dog biscuits. Could do on egg but with the number so much easier in oven.
    Like your bones but she is inside dog and no place to eat them.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Pork bones splinter like chicken... so if you have a big dog like mine - who's bite/chew is not so "dainty", then I'd pass and wait for the beef bones...
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,311
    thanks for the heads up, bones hit the trash. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • PattyOPattyO Posts: 882
    Marrow bones from shin or upper arm/leg are fine. They do not splinter. Never steak or pork or chicken bones, or turkey or lamb or veal, etc. Never ever.
    PattyO
    ·
    Don't look now, but the dog has a bone of his own :ermm:
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    :laugh: Rebecca...That is EXACTLY what I thought, too!! :laugh:
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    OK, I've been out voted. But, I haven't been without one or two dogs for over 40 years. I've always given them every kind of bone except chicken bones.

All have lived to at least 13, and a couple made it to 17.

Hello !! Dogs are descended from WOLVES.

So, OK, don't give your dogs bones, but in case one of them steals one, don't rush him to the vet for a stomach pump. They'll survive. :laugh: :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    Gary I never had a problem in the past either but when the dogs became inside mutts the surprises got me away from giving them bones on a regular basis and now I just don't want to take the chance. Those marrow bones are all they get now.
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    there is a theme...but keep the pups happy..
    ·
    Wess has a dog that is ALWAYS happy :silly:

wessdog.jpg
    ·
    That black was so good it's gone...
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    So my mind isn't the only one that went to music with the thread title?
    ·
    Absolute first reaction I had...LOL..was singin it as I read the header.....
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    feeble minds think alike
    ·
    Amen my friend..my roots might be turnin grey..but my roots are what they are...and with no regrets..
    ·