Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

“OLD” Cast Dutch Oven

Options
Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
Mr. & Mrs Potatohead Posts: 2,037
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked with the “OLD” Cast Dutch Oven.
Really wanted to do a low and slow roast, but wanted to do a brasing or stewing, so decided to do my Bourguignon Pot Roast again.
It was a hit and really great...For sure!

In the Egg just after adding the squash.

P1010399.jpg

Ready to enjoy!

P1010400.jpg

Basic recipe goes like this:

BOURGUIGNON POT ROAST

1 (4 to 5-pound) prime boneless beef roast, tied (or bone in would be fine too)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good olive oil
2 C. chopped carrots (4 fine chopped carrots)
2 C. chopped yellow onions (2 Med. onions, fine chopped)
2 C. chopped celery (about 4 stalks, fine chopped)
2 C. chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 to 4 leeks)
2 Summer squash, chunked
5 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 C. good red wine, such as Burgundy (that is why they call it "BOURGUIGNON")
1/4 C. Cognac, brandy or a nice blend of the two (Paul Masson VSOP Grand Amber is wonderful and great to sip too)
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes (in a puree is fine)
1 C. water or beef stock
3 branches fresh thyme
2 branches fresh rosemary
(Dry herbs are fine here, using about 1 t. each.)

1)) Heat the oil and brown the roast on all sides. Salt & pepper well.

2)) Remove the roast and set aside. Add and give a good sweat to the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Add the roast back to the pot with the water / broth. Cover and bring to a boil.

3)) Add everything else (but the squash) and stew, covered, at 300 F for about three hours. Add the squash about 15 to 20 minutes before serving to be sure the squash is still a bit on the tender-crisp side of life.

If a gravy is more appealing than an Au jus’: Mash some of the veggies and stir in a roux of butter and flour.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Jerry, I could use a bowl of that right now! Looks really good!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Nitro
    Nitro Posts: 70
    Options
    Looks delicious... and nice pot too. I have the same one. Is that a #8?

I'll definitely try that recipe. Thanks!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    That is a great looking pot of goodies... thanks for sharing the recipe. I will give it a try when time permits.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    If it were just about 50 degrees colded hear that would look great!! :laugh: Actually it does look great even at 101 degrees today and love the fresh vegs you put in it! Never been big on a beef roast but never had prime in that cut eather. I wonder how a pork roast would sub? Regardless saved this one. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Jerry, Thanks your meal looks fantastic. :P I saved this cook in my DO folder. Tim
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I saved it as well. It looks really good. My wife bought me a new Lodge dutch oven for Christmas and I need to use it for something other than frying.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Molly:
    If you leave now, you could be here for left-overs tomorrow at noon :whistle: !!
    Actually....That will be when I'll be taking some time off (project being complete I hope), as last evening we had a pretty good thunder storm and I now have a large Maple tree laying in / on my garden :( !
    Right after coffee, I'm heading out there with the chain saw to salvage as much garden as possible....More on this later!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Nitro:
    I'm not sure, as the DO is pretty old and only marked with "Made in USA" on the bottom. I think it holds a bit over 5 qts.
    However, when I got it didn't have a lid and I had to find one for it. I got a new Lodge # 8 that fit perfectly! :woohoo:
    Must be a # 8 ;)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Never have done a pork roast with this recipe / method, other than a "boiled diner" type thing with the trinity along with potatoes, carrots, cabbage or kraut....
    Maybe others have some good braised pork roast methods??