Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Packer Report

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Almost 12 years of cooking on an Egg, dozens of briskets over the years, and yesterday was my first packer. It definitely won't be my last. The flat was done in about 9 hours. I pulled the brisket, took it inside, let it rest for about half an hour (during which half hour, I turned my plate setter over and opened up the vents for a pretty spectacular burn-off!), and then ran a knife between the flat and the point, which separated effortlessly and with minimal loss of juice (some fat remained on both sides). I wrapped the flat and put it in a cooler. I probed the point and pulled/chunked/cut all the crunchy bits that were meaty into a pan for burnt ends and all the fat chunks into a pan for the cats. When I was done, I was left with the major muscle of the point, which was completely cooked, but not browned in any way. I used my welders gloves (gonna need a new pair soon) to remove the, now almost completely clean, plate setter from the Egg, put my AR in, and settled the fire down to about 375. I put the big point muscle on the grill and got a nice crispy surface in about 10 minutes per side. That got chopped and added to the burnt ends pan, during which time I further shut down the Egg to 250ish. The burnt ends got covered in Gates Original and the pan went in the Egg for about an hour while we were catching up with our old friends.

The burnt ends rivaled the best I've had in KC. The sliced brisket was the best I've ever cooked. I never dreamed that having the point attached could make such a difference. I'm a packer convert.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I'm glad that your brisket came out great. Maybe I'll try cooking my next one at a slightly higher temperature to see if it comes out as well.

My local market rarely carries packer briskets, but there is one a little further away (Shady Maple) that usually has them. I've got 2 in the freezer - one is planned for use 2 weeks from now when my daughter comes for a visit.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Sounds good, but where are the pics? :whistle:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    My wife makes fun of me when I photograph food. Plus we had guests. I didn't feel like ignoring them to document a cook. Know what I mean?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    after a while the guests expect you to get a pic :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't let anything stop me from taking pic's and documenting a cook on the BGE forum. Maybe when you get around to it you could practice. Get the dog and cat to sit around and take pic's and then work up to family members... :lol: Tim

Take pic's for me and tell your family and friends there is this egghead on the BGE forum that can't read and he has to look at pic's to understand the cook.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I too like to look at the pictures. Too funny Tim. :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    My wife used to make fun also,but she also liked to eat the food. She has now accepted the fact that pictures are part of the cooking process.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA