Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elk with Blue Cheese

Options
Eggscriber
Eggscriber Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, a few days ago, I wandered into this gourmet shop in Lititz, PA.

DSC_0886.jpg

They had some interesting and different things there. The owner/salesman John recommended the Elk Sirloin with this blue cheese crumbled on it.

DSC_0897.jpg

Per his recommendation, I seared it with olive oil and seasoned salt (on my mini) and topped it with the blue cheese soon after I flipped it.

elk.jpg

It was good. What game meats do you all use?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Nice pics.Around here it's anything goes,venision(sp)mostly.Sometimes-squirrel,rabbit,dove,quail,coon,possum,turtle,snipe.The list is endless! Mostly venision! ;) I have tried Elk.It was YUMMEE.Tasted a lot like beef.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Looks great & like bison, low in fat!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Looks great, I wish we could get elk around here. I think it's much better than deer.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    When I was about 12 I was taught how to catch "snipe", I sat in that ditch whistling for almost an hour till I could hear the folks laughing sitting on the porch at the lake house listening to me! :ohmy: LMAO!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Hi Steve! The Elk looks really delicious. I'm not too far from Lititz-I'll have to check that place out. I've grilled elk on my Weber, before I got my Egg. I shoot lots of pheasants, so they visit the Egg regularly. Venison from time to time, when I'm lucky enough to get one during hunting season.
    Brian
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hoss,
    how much would you like us to bring in Jan.? Don't be shy, no shortage in my buddies freezer. Pheasant, grouse and Salmon too.

Wonder if we'll have any fun? :woohoo:
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They have Kangaroo, Boar, Ostrich Bison and many other game meats there. I bought some gourmet Midnight Moon cheese there also. Let me give it my highest recommendation for any of you that ever see it! See you in Pittsburgh! :lol: