Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low/slow [pause] sear/dwell technique?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done tri tip low and slow, and it is nice and smoky. I've done tri tip fast and hot, and it has a nice char. I am thinking about this "best of both worlds" technique: [p]
-- First, low and slow [200?] for a half hour, to let the smoke soak in. [I think that the smoke penetrates better at lower temps -- don't know if that is true or why, but it seems to be. Am I fooling myself, or has anyone else noticed this?][p]-- Next, take the meat off and open up the vents, getting it up to 350 or so.[p]-- Then, maybe 10 minutes a side at 350, and then let it dwell with the vents closed for another 10 minutes.[p]Might try the same thing with butterflied leg of lamb. Has anyone tried this trick? Does it work? Is it worth the effort?[p]If this works, we need to come up with a catchy name. "Low/slow [pause] sear/dwell" may be accurate, but it ain't poetry.

Comments

• Prof Dan,[p]You're right, the meat picks up the smoke flavor best when the meat is cool. I have attached a link that presents 2 methods for cooking tri-tip one is roast at 350F and the other (at bottom of page) is slo-cook then finish with sear. The slo-cook time is up to 2 hours instead of the 30 minutes you suggested. I guess you can adjust the amount of smoking time depending on how much smoke flavor you want.[p]I hope this helps.[p]
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Prof Dan, I've done this with thick cut (2") Strips and Rib Eyes with a great amount of success. I prefer cherry wood when doing this. It should work well on the Tri-Tip, or even the Ball-Tip. A nice thick cut Top Sirloin comes to mind, also.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I have a related question... see above.
    Maybe someone can offer us a bit of expert insight.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante