Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Low/slow [pause] sear/dwell technique?

Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
edited 8:10PM in EggHead Forum
I've done tri tip low and slow, and it is nice and smoky. I've done tri tip fast and hot, and it has a nice char. I am thinking about this "best of both worlds" technique: [p]
-- First, low and slow [200?] for a half hour, to let the smoke soak in. [p]-- Next, take the meat off and open up the vents, getting it up to 350 or so.[p]-- Then, maybe 10 minutes a side at 350, and then let it dwell with the vents closed for another 10 minutes.[p]Might try the same thing with butterflied leg of lamb. Has anyone tried this trick? Does it work? Is it worth the effort?[p]If this works, we need to come up with a catchy name. "Low/slow [pause] sear/dwell" may be accurate, but it ain't poetry.

·

Comments

• Prof Dan,[p]You're right, the meat picks up the smoke flavor best when the meat is cool. I have attached a link that presents 2 methods for cooking tri-tip one is roast at 350F and the other (at bottom of page) is slo-cook then finish with sear. The slo-cook time is up to 2 hours instead of the 30 minutes you suggested. I guess you can adjust the amount of smoking time depending on how much smoke flavor you want.[p]I hope this helps.[p]
    ·
  • RumrunnerRumrunner Posts: 563
    Prof Dan, I've done this with thick cut (2") Strips and Rib Eyes with a great amount of success. I prefer cherry wood when doing this. It should work well on the Tri-Tip, or even the Ball-Tip. A nice thick cut Top Sirloin comes to mind, also.

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Prof Dan,
    I have a related question... see above.
    Maybe someone can offer us a bit of expert insight.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·