Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PLEASE, no more being able to change handles!!

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
Guys...Truly, this is getting ridiculous. Troll posts, anonymous posts, and what I suspect as registered members changing their names as they see fit to antagonize. Cant this be STOPPED!!!???? I am becoming ashamed of this forum. It truly is embarrassing at times. MAKE PEOPLE BE WHO THEY ARE!!! NOT able to hide behind some anonymous name, with NO responsibility for their words!!! PLEASE!!!?????

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Please listen to L.C. People arguing on the forum doesn't bother me. People are at least nice enough to keep a PG rating here. However, I agree with Little Chef about the name changes. I don't like not being able to know who I'm talking to. It's a cop out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Good idea. I suggest that the mods do a 1 month IP cross reference and sanction the offending forum members. As respect, I've maintained my handle throughout all the silliness.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Funny how the moderators deleted my post below, but allowed Tweev to keep his up. I have a feeling the mods here want this controversy for whatever reason. If not, why do they refuse to fix the problem. It is becoming obvious they are the reason thing are getting worse here.

A lot of these trolls are coming from the Primo site. I use to be a moderator on their forum and they would routinely encourage people to cause trouble here. I'm sure many of you realize that.

Second, the fault shouldn't be placed on Tweev. He is playing by the rules and posting unregistered. He must be a pretty pathetic person to get his kicks this way, but what do expect from someone who probably still lives with their parents. Pathetic pieces of trash like Tweev will die one day and no one will really give a damn (most will probably celebrate). He knows it.

The administrators of this site are the fault here. They have allowed the fox to guard the hen house. The blame should be placed on them and them alone. I understand they are in a thankless position and most likely don't get any type of compensation for their time, but they need to put an end to unregistered posting (very easy to do--takes seconds to do). They also need to ban ip's when they get rid of someone. If someone is banned it is easy for them to come back because they can get a proxy ip and there are millions out there. However, if the admins of this site would ask some of the seasoned veterans of this board (who are respected) to donate some of their time moderating the site and throwing out the trash as soon as they post, then this site can get back to what it was. If they don't then it will continue to drag on until all the really good members decide to go somewhere else (many have done this already).

I will repeat the fault lies with the ones who should know better and know how to fix it, the admins/mods of this board. If they continue to do nothing then this board will continue to go downhill. Shame on them for allowing it to get to this point.

Admins/Mods: Throw out the TRASH and while you are at it, if you don't have the time to adequently do the modding here, then quit and allow other who do have the time do it. Then again, maybe that pathetic little title means something to you.

It is time to call out the ones who are the real cause of this turmoil and it is the ones who allow it to continue, the admin/mods of this site.

Go ahead and delete this post and I will post it again and again. Lets don't play a double standard by allowing Tweev and other unregistered posters to post and keep theirs up all the while deleting mine because I call it like it is. Guess the admins/mods don't like to look in the mirror and see they have destroyed a once great place. Shame on them again.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    Frankly, I would just be glad to hear definitively one way or the other where things stand on this.

There are too many mixed messages (lit. and fig.). I personally wouldn't want the current state of this forum to be my product's public face.

Knowing that anonymous posting was been an issue off and on over the years, and understanding that there are moderators at BGE HQ with the power to remove offensive posts, it can only be assumed that in some bizarre way, this is exactly how they want things. They seem to have backed off from actively banning or deleting. I hope it isn't a result of some fabled threat of "legal action" like I heard. I can't imagine that was taken seriously (if such threat was made).

Would be nice to know what the opinion of BGE and the moderators is on this. Do they owe me specifically an explanation? No. But given that BGE gains as much from an active healthy forum as its users do, I would think some clear decision would have been made, and would have been made public.

Until then, my suggestion is to avoid the anonymous posts. Or, ...if you can't beat them, join them. :laugh:

I wonder what BigGreenDave would do?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. NO anonymous posts. NO unregistered posts. NO posts by non members. NO changing handles at will. You should have to register to post and you should not be able to post under any other name. PERIOD.

If some of the threads I have seen over the last few months reflect the image BGE wants to project, fine. It's your forum. Personally, if it were MY forum, I would be ashamed.

And if you are going to BAN someone, then BAN him!!!

Does Ed Fisher SEE this crap?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Once More,

You can post this as many times as you like.

Whether you realize it or not, it's not so easy to completely disable guest posting.

The most important is that this is how folks get help when they are having problems -- including login problems. We've been steadily growing for over ten years; so, some of the "old ways" are beginning to show their age its true. For example, a proper support system would solve this problem -- but "seconds" is likely a bit optimistic for implementing one.

Plus, there's nothing to stop folks from registering as many handles as they like. All they need is one of an infinite number of free email addresses.

But, after we plug the guest registration holes (bugs in the software that should be fixed, and then provide a new support system besides posting to "Forum Feedback", and perhaps change at least $5 to register, it might slow down the trolls a bit. Until they think of something else.

Too bad simply ignoring them doesn't work.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    vBulletin and additional moderators would solve the problem. As long as the mods don't let it go to their heads. At least that has been the case on every other forum with which I have been involved. The current situation is already unacceptable - and it's getting worse.

Is this really the image BGE wants to project?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WMK
    Options
    Carolina Q,

This old software we're using is certainly getting a bit "long in the tooth". We did quite a bit of customization to facilitate a smooth transition from our first forum software.

We imported the old profiles, recipes, and existing posts into the new database (the old stuff was all just raw html files -- no database). This was about seven years ago now; and, ever since, we've been "stuck" with the same "special" versions.

So, though we need to do from the ground up, there are many things to consider:

Do we use an updated "content managment" system, or go with a straight forum like Vbulitin, or phpBB. I assume that "fancy" forums like these support some form of "add-ons"/"modules", or the like, for things like recipes.

Does vBulitin have a "classic" view?

Does it support importing our current member profiles and posting history?

What about the recipes? Is there an add-on recipe component for Vbulitin? If so, would it import the existing recipes?

Of course, if we just "punt" and "start over from scratch", then installing Vbulitin on a new upgraded server is all that is required, but we'd give up quite a bit to do that.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I know some people like the so called look and feel of this forum. I don't. I've hung out in many forums over the years and not one of them could you post without registering. I've changed my handle a few times here and on other forums so I don't get the "not allowing changing handles" part. Its never been a problem anywhere else because everyone who posts is registered. Anonymous posting should be stopped even if it means changing the forum software.

That being said lately it seems every time someone gets a bug up their butt they want to start changing the rules(not singling out the OP). Truth is this is just part of life on the internet. If these trolls are ignored they will go away. I think the administrators should do something, and I know its only $5 that was mentioned, and it would clean things up, but its a bad idea. I don't think new people who only come here and make a post or two would pay. Then all the people who lurk and just read would go away because the information and the forum would stagnate. A lot knowledge is posted here but a lot of that knowledge also comes from new people learning.
    Just my $.02
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Why do we need classic view?

Beside classic view what would we be giving up beside the time involved making the switch? Adding a couple of moderators could help with that.

I doubt if anything will support importing current members posting history but their profiles could be updated by the members when they register on the new forum.

I don't know why their couldn't be a section that linked to the old forums recipes. For a more permanent solution most likely this stuff would have to moved over manually to a new section. Maybe adding a moderator or two to help would be in order.

I did a Google search of "cooking forum" and came up with this on the second hit: http://www.spiceplace.com/forums/

Not saying this is what you want but does seem to offer a lot of options.
  • WMK
    Options
    Hungry Joe,

The "classic" look and feel is like most things, some people like it, and some people don't.

I agree, changing handles is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. And like most things, it's too bad that a few "abusers" mess things up for everybody.

Generally, we've had pretty good luck with guest posters; and, we've been "hospitable" for well over ten years now. And like any place with people, we have had occasional trouble makers, some registered, some not, but they've always moved on soon enough for most, though never soon enough for some.

I agree again, it seems that there's more complaining than problems lately to me too.

I agree also that very few folks would pay, even just $5, to combat the trolls. Thus, it seems they are getting all they pay for (more if you count the forum -- such as it is).

My point is that obtaining an email address to register again after being banned is not all that hard to do. Most "trouble makers" these days are sophisticated enough to do it. If they are determined enough to be worth complaining about, then likely they'll be determined enough to reregister as long as its free.

Keeping the forum open for "new people learning" is precisely why we've always resisted blocking guest posts. Most of them are legitimate questions. Only a few are "trolls".
  • WMK
    Options
    Hungry Joe,

We don't lack for options.

It's finding the time to implement any of them that's the trouble.

"Classic view" was created to facilitate the transition from the original, html based, forum software. The original forum had profiles, but no login, no password. There was nothing to stop anyone from using any profile; or, from creating as many new ones as desired -- not even the requirement of a unique email address.

The current software was a significant improvement over the old, but many liked the "look" of the old forum -- at least at the time. This may not be true so much now, seven years later; so, we may not need the "classic" view so much as we did then.

Our experience has been, that no matter which way we go, we'll get a boat load of complaints and a handful and "attaboys".

Most forums I visit are covered with advertising. That's how they pay for the time required to maintain the site. This forum has no paid advertising; and, is provided by BGE as a free service for its customers. We don't have a budget to pay, or otherwise compensate "moderators"; and, our experience with volunteers is that even genuine enthusiasm quickly wanes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The difference is that you have anonymity even though you have been so magnanimous as to always with your handle. Most of these handles here are actually people that know .one another and meet face to face several times a year. So when they change names to gain anonymity it means they are actually trying to hide their identity. You're just the unidentified turd in the proverbial punchbowl and can say what you please under the guise of your handle because it is always anonymous.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Maybe one of the main differences between this forum and others is the lack of moderators online to delete problems before they get out of hand. I've seen may troll posts get deleted on other forums. I've also seen trolls re-register only to be found out and banned again. Can it be done by banning an IP addresses? Even if the IP was only banned for a set period of time. That would help to discourage trolls but free up the IP for someone who is unfortunate enough to end up with that IP address at a later time.

I've got to add that an ignore feature would go a long in helping the overall forum.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WMK wrote:
    Carolina Q,

This old software we're using is certainly getting a bit "long in the tooth". We did quite a bit of customization to facilitate a smooth transition from our first forum software.

We imported the old profiles, recipes, and existing posts into the new database (the old stuff was all just raw html files -- no database). This was about seven years ago now; and, ever since, we've been "stuck" with the same "special" versions.

So, though we need to do from the ground up, there are many things to consider:

Do we use an updated "content managment" system, or go with a straight forum like Vbulitin, or phpBB. I assume that "fancy" forums like these support some form of "add-ons"/"modules", or the like, for things like recipes.

Does vBulitin have a "classic" view?

Does it support importing our current member profiles and posting history?

What about the recipes? Is there an add-on recipe component for Vbulitin? If so, would it import the existing recipes?

Of course, if we just "punt" and "start over from scratch", then installing Vbulitin on a new upgraded server is all that is required, but we'd give up quite a bit to do that.

WMK, thanks for taking the time to reply. I believe vBulletin supports recipes. I just looked at BBQBrethren and it appears that they have had spammer problems, but came up with a decent solution. I am not a member there and so, I can't see their recipes, but it appears that they have them.

I don't even LIKE classic view and never use it. If it disappeared, I'd never notice.

I would imagine that, if you completely changed the forum software, you may lose quite a bit of the existing profile and posting history. No idea if any of it could be salvaged. Whatever we would lose, I would rather lose ALL of that if it meant we would no longer have to put up with the trolls and anonymous posters that the current setup allows. Conventional wisdom suggests that ignoring trolls will cause them to leave. Fact is, many people CAN'T ignore trolls. Human nature I guess. Witness almost all of Dweeb's posts. Wait, did I spell that incorrectly? The dude was banned - and yet.............

All I know is, this forum is worth saving. But on it's present course, it stands a good chance of losing a lot of good people. At the very least, some of the more offensive posts/threads need to be deleted before they get out of hand. Others may disagree, strongly perhaps. But that is my opinion.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WMK
    Options
    Hungry Joe,

We've tried banning ip address; and, yes, it does have to be for a limited time since they change regularly (sometimes daily). Plus, a determined trouble maker can easily arrange to appear to be coming from any address they chose.

Funny you should mention an "ignore" feature.

I've just added a profile level option to ignore guest posts.

So you can now select "Ignore Guest Posts" in your profile and you won't see any posts by unregistered members (or any replies to them -- like this one :-) ).
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Really?

Fooo real?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ignore guest posts? Oh, I LIKE THAT!!!!!! Too bad the legit guest posts will be ignored too, but they can always register. It's really not that difficult.

Thank you!!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WMK
    Options
    Chubby,

Yup -- fo real dude :-).
    See sticky post at top of "Forum Feedback".
  • Chubby
    Options
    Thanks...this is a step !!

I was going to email you anyway...

any time i try to change my profile...it wont let me..i get a YO2 error?

Thoughts?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WMK
    Options
  • Chubby
    Options
    yes...any chance you could ring me...as im an idiot!!
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    well. that's what it means, chubby. "YO 2" stoopid to change Yo profile!
  • WMK
    Options
    Chubby,

Well not tonight -- it's bedtime here.
    But, please define "YO2" error? What does that mean? I'm TLA challenged :-)
  • Chubby
    Options
    when I try to update anything on my profile page...I get an InterNet Exoplorer box that says...

YO2 error. This profile is aleady registered on this forum. If you've forgotten your password click the "forgotten your password" link,and a new one will be sent...bla..bla...