Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice - mold on new BGE cypress table

sdm
sdm Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I bought a new BGE large table 3 weeks ago. The table from about the 3rd day began to develop mold problem. Dealer told me that cypress was mold resistant. They are supposedly pursuing with BGE but the problem is getting worse.

Anyone have a similar problem? Any solutions?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have two cypress tables, both of which I built myself. No mold problems, but mine are finished with good quality marine spar varnish.
    The only BGE tables I have ever seen [and that is not very many] do not appear to have any finish at all.
    Cypress is virtually rot proof, but mold is a different matter. Mold will grow on anything under the right conditions. I will make a wild guess that your table was stored in a damp, dark warehouse before you got it. I think your dealer may be confusing "mold" and "rot".
    As for a solution, you may be able to scrub it with a bleach solution to get rid of the mold, keep it in bright sunshine for a while, then finish it with Min-Wax Spar Urethane varnish, three coats.
    Hope this helps :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • sdm
    sdm Posts: 6
    thanks Captain Frank
  • Bumping this up as I am having the same problem. We bought our LBGE in late May with a BGE table. The table began molding, warping, and discoloring so we played the warrantee card and had it replaced. It's been about a month with the new table and, guess what? Mold and discoloring. We do not use a cover. I am really disappointed. Any thoughts? Similar experiences?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you're trying to save the table. Bleach, pressure wash and apply three coats of helmsnan poly urethane.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have the same problem.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd sand it first, then apply the spar paint.  At least three coats, sanding lightly between coats.  Put it on THIN so you don't get runs. Hand sand with 150-180 grit...just lightly sand.  Helmsman spar Urethane is fine.  You don't want it to get too much rain and sun even with the paint, so get a cover or keep it under a roof.
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590