Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guardian Cookware

Options
crghc98
crghc98 Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok...so my aunt gave me a ton of this stuff from her house. Apparently my Dad's real father became a salesman of this stuff during or shortly after WWII. It would have been between late 40's - 51 as he passed away when my dad was 6.

Now I see it is worth money online, especially with the glass tops I have, but not looking to sell. I know about the "issues" with aluminum cookware, but frankly I don't care because you get more aluminum from an aspirin than you do leaching into your food from aluminum cookware even if you cooked all 3 meals in it...

Now the question....Anyone ever use it, and has anyone put it on the egg?

I would expect some discoloration of the glass I guess if I put it on there, right?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would use it, but theres not to many reasons to use the cover in the egg, the dome actually acts as a cover. my old aluminum pots have wooden handles so they dont go in the egg but i do use them regularly stove top. snuck them outa grandmas house when we unplugged the stove from her, Alzheimers runs on the woman side of the family, would never want to go that way :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that...Alz's is painful on the family as well....

My Aunt owned my grandmother's house (she basically leveled it) but she kept everything cooking related in the basement...recently I've scored some silver and crystal servers, the guardian stuff, a meat grinder that was used once, though its only ok (Oster I think) it was free, some old cheapo roasting pans for use on the egg......

They have all of my grandfather's old bar stuff as well (he was a bartender in Boston for years) and I'm waiting (this sounds aweful but its not) to get my hands on the old Pepsi Machine, cash register, budweiser horses and assorted other goodies....
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    there are no issues with aluminum cookware... that's been debunked so many times...

we had it too. that stuff was pretty cool because the triangular shapes allowed you to fit three pots on a burner (if i remember correctly).

eventually, all the tops broke, which is unfortunately what makes them valuable.

glass won't 'discolor' other than get sooty, if that's what you mean.

i think, for ease of cleaning though, you want a decent dutch oven. it's supposed to be black, after all
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If they're collectables, why take the chance and risk screwing them up?
  • vickeryj
    vickeryj Posts: 3
    Options
    I have some and use it all the time, it is good stuff, but I have never used it on the BGE.
  • crghc98
    Options
    some company is now making the cookware again and making replacement lids, so at least you can still use them....I have the three triangle pots that go on the trivet, so you can cook 3 things on one burner....and it is supposed to be all waterless (steaming) cooking so I will try that....

yes, I meant sooty or that yellowish color, but I can always scrub them.

I was really only thinking of using the larger pans in the egg, more like a dutch oven I guess....
  • crghc98
    Options
    I guess I don't care too much about the $ value...I wouldn't sell them. As stike mentions it is really the lids that hold the value, which as fishless says I probably wouldn't use on the egg anyway.....
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i don't recall the other pans... the triangular ones stick out, but we must have had the whole set.

dunno where they ended up