Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Egg, No thermopen, No Gas

Options
Boss Hogg
Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Vacation in Stone Harbor, NJ. Of course, at home I have 2 Eggs to cook on, but usually rushing to find time to cook on them on week nights. Finally on vacation with lots of time, but no Egg. :( Made chicken tonight on a gas grill...what an adventure. Put the thighs on the grill and went in the house to get a clean plate and tongs. Went outside to find flames shooting out of the gas grill. Got that under control, went inside to get the boneless breasts, which I wanted to put on the grill after giving the thighs a head start. Put them on the grill and cracked a beer and sat down to relax during the cook. Looked at the grill a few minutes later and the temp was below 200*. Ran out of gas. 15 minutes speed trip to the hardware store to get a new tank of gas. Back in business! :) Sat down to a warm beer. :angry: Finally, got the chicken done. Even though I've used DP Raging River on ABTs and on salmon, this was the first time I put it on chicken-a big hit! Prior to getting my Egg, my kids always hated when I grilled on my Weber. Looks like we've gone full circle. :laugh:
Brian

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great story for us, not so much for you. :);) Have a relaxing vacation!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    We have been going to Avalon/Stone Harbor for years. We love it. For some reason, we went to Bethany instead. This year I had a mini to take with us. It was great. I cooked on it almost every night.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    What where you thinking? I'd rather cook on stovetop with CI skillet than on a gasser anyday. Or in the oven. B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Best of luck!Love your saying.
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Thanks, Molly. are you still going to NiEGGra Fest??
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Heck yes!!! :laugh: :)
    You?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Have a good time on vacation, sorry there is no egg to cook on but I guess the gaser will have to do.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Sundazes, As much crap as we pack in the car, the only way I could take even a mini is if I left my wife at home. On second thought.... :P Heading to 96th St in a few min. Springers or Cold Stone??? :woohoo:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Molly... Hoping to go ....if I ever get a passport :whistle:
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Get on it, it takes a while. Took less than they told me 3years ago. Think it was a month, but don't rely on that. DO IT! :)B) :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Hoss! Came up with that on my own. Sort of a story behind it I'll tell you sometime if I ever meet you. Someone else liked it enough that they gave me an apron with the quote on it. I'm a "type A", so it fits me.
    BC
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Patticake, By burning some of the chicken, I've ensured that I won't have to cook much the rest of the vacation :laugh:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Bacchus, that's my wife's domain. (don't tell her I said that!)
    Brian
  • Unknown
    Options
    "it may be better to make things happen then to let things happen, but I'd rather drink beer & see what happens" :laugh:
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Zips-You will in August!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Brian you need a mini for those road trips, just slip by Zippy's in the middle of the night and borrow his next time. I'm sure he won't mind :whistle:
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    Boss Hogg wrote:
    Sundazes, As much crap as we pack in the car, the only way I could take even a mini is if I left my wife at home. On second thought.... :P Heading to 96th St in a few min. Springers or Cold Stone??? :woohoo:
    Brian

Are you kidding me, Springers. I think it is state law that you have to go there.
    We used to pack heavy like that. With 3 kids and 2 adults were are now down to 2 suitcases for a week.

I made room for the egg. If it didnt go, neither would I. After all, it was a birthday gift from the wife.

Dont forget to hit Bills pancake house.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Interesting... I used RR for the first time on chicken thighs yesterday and they turned out grate!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you can usually find a disposable charcoal grill less than 15 bucks and a bag of briquettes, thats as low as i can go for a grill :laugh: thats the first thing i buy for fishing trips out west B) i figure its bad enough having to eat orange cheese out there that even kingsford cant kill it :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it