Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any Five Guys Burgers fans here?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday was the first time I had ever heard of this franchise phenomenon with its huge softball size hamburger...and then today I read where one is opening in our town this fall. Any fans here of this Arlington, VA based chain?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Love 'em...just get the regular size fries when you get a burger...the fries will feed two hungry people..the fries are fresh cut daily...oh and the burgers are great too... :)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I've got one close by work, but have never tried it. They made the move on San Antonio this past year. I'll watch this thread.

Mike
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ron, i've been going to five guys since the 'five brothers' opened the very first one at the corner of glebe road and columbia pike around 25 years ago ...and the second one opened about 200 yards from the first house my wife and i lived in at rt7 and walter reed drive (which is now the oldest one still remaining)....i LOVE their burgers and fries!!! ....they don't serve a large patty . . .rather, their regular burger is actually two patties together ...they keep it simple .. .only thing on the menu is burgers and hotdogs and fries . . .dats it!!! no chicken, no salads, etc ...every burger is made to order, as well as the fries ...and the fries are like "beach" fries . ..dunked multiple times in the peanut oil .. .plenty of different toppings for your burgers as well.. pretty sloppy too!! . .

and the story behind their buns ... the original five guys was next to a bakery called 'brenners bakery', a bakery that had been in arlington since long before i was born ...the original guys purchased their buns from brenners . . ..right as five guys was starting to grow their business and franchise out in the DC area, they went to start their own bakery . . at the same time, brenners finally went out of business, so five guys hired their 'bun guy' and put him in charge of the bakery . . ..so the buns are still faithful to the originals and the one factory ships to all the five guys stores around the country . ...

i have to fly to boston every now and then on the US air shuttle out of reagan airport. ...they have a five guys right at the US air docks. ...they open at 6am, so i can snag a burger right before the morning flight!!! nothing better!! :woohoo:
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    The best fast food burger on the planet.
    Hope you like fries too cause they will fill the bag for you
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    While I like their burgers, they aren't an better than I can produce off my egg.

Maybe it's because I can actually cook my burger the way *I* want it cooked.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I've eaten at the one near us a couple times - take it or leave it taste-wise. Nutritionally at least as bad as other fast food from what I've read.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    and you still live to talk about them!!! :blink: :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am a fan of both the burger and fries. Went there a couple times a week when they opened close to work. But then looked at the nutritional info one day. Now I only indulge once a month as their food is horible for you. The Little Burger, with nothing on it except lettuce, tomato and pickle is 480 calories, 1/2 from fat. Fries, are between 600 - 1400 calories.

Howard
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I like them if I am not doing burgers myself. Tasty burgers but very greasy. Their fries are good though. Fresh cut potatoes and they have an up to date sign in the store that tells you where the potatoes for the fries came from that day. I would say their fries are similar to In-N-Out fries. There is another chain inour are called cheeburger cheeburger that is very good too.

*Definitely my go to place out of all the burger joints in my area.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I stopped at one on the way back from Waldorf this year. Ordered 2 burgers & 2 fries, that was my only mistake, had enough fries for the whole place :laugh: :laugh: I have since been to the local one. I would recommend :)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    They started in our area, and it's a wonderful meal. Problem is, you can only eat a burger and an order of their fries three times a year or risk major coronary blockage ;-)

Seriously, it's a great place to fill an empty belly. Shrooms are free too!

Seeing how fast the franchise is growing is a testament to the quality of the meal. Enjoy, and be careful out there!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You eat at the one on Six Forks? Maybe it's just that one.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Only when there is no In-N-Out within 100 miles. :woohoo:
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    The BEST fast food burger I have ever eaten! You can have mushrooms etc. whatever you want for no additional $ The fries come in a brown paper bag and you'll have juice running down your arm while eating the massive burger. If your daring, go for the double! Blows away, BK & McD's
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I'm with Hatch,
    We really like them. The cajun fries are also great!
  • ResQue
    Options
    Animal style rocks!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    They put one in a new grocery-store-anchored strip mall just 3/4 mile from my house. It's a good burger: Very fresh, made to order and with a large range of condiments. It's a little pricey for a burger place, but good grub.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOVE THEM!
    first time I had one was this winter in FL the fri machine was down and we did not get fries but the burgers were worth every penny :) not the cheapest at all but a good burger if I am not going to egg one and I do not get a migraine like I do with other fast food.and yes just a reg fries LOL
  • RRP
    Options
    that they are going in the same strip where Fresh Market will also be opening this fall! Guess that part of town will be getting in my billfold soon!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    well ron, did we convince you??!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i usually eat from the mcD's dollar cheese burger dollar menu, always figure if i want a real burger ill cook it myself. i do like the toppings bar a fuddruckers and the sweet potato fries
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fish, i was always a 'fudds' fan myself...much prefer the taste of the five guys .. higher 'grease' content i think LOL ...both are grilled on a flat steel griddle. . .i just think there is more beef flavor in the five guys burger. . .and fudds has expanded too much into the other stuff (salads/chicken/etc) these days for my tastes ...they do still make a good milkshake though!!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Just standby for price shock...
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    notwithstanding my love for five guys, if you live anywhere near northern Va/arlington, you HAVE to check out "Rays Hell burger" on Wilson Blvd, near the courthouse neighborhood...owned by the same guys that started "rays the steak" ... .their burgers are a full half pound of prime chopped steak. ..unbelievable flavor. ..and they have multiple toppings and about a dozen different types of cheeses (beware though, they can be costly, one type of cheese runs around 5 bucks a slice!!!), from blue cheese to good cheddars to brie, etc. . .the place is packed 7 days a week, so expect to wait in line .. ..but it is worth it!! fries are only ho-hum, but its all about the burger at rays!!!!
  • RRP
    Options
    ka ching - yup! :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'll be one of the few dissenting opinions. It's just a burger. Yea, it's pretty good as far as burgers go, but nothing to stop traffic.

After the first couple visits the novelty wears off and you realize it's just a burger joint. It's better than most fast food, but in my opinion it isn't as good as most people make it out to be. And they aren't softball sized at all - at least not in this market. They serve either a single or double burger, and the patties are 1/4#. And everything is cooked to well done, no exceptions so don't bother to ask.

The fries on the other hand are the best on the market -- fresh cut and fried perfectly.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    double-double animal style. That's the only way to roll.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i stopped going when they pulled the baked fish off the menu. someone sued because they put the oil from the fish fryer into the baking pan :angry:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ResQue
    Options
    That is both fries and burger right? It's been a while since I lived in CA but when I visit every couple years In-N-Out is the second place I go to. The first is any fast food place that ends with ...bertos. Mmmmm. carne asada!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Now I feel better.. :woohoo:

My wife loves them, but they are just a burger to me..