Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp in Small Egg

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made ABT's yesterday in my small and couldn't keep the temp up past 250-275. I used a smaller grille in the bottom on top of the lump and then a BGE pizza stone for a platesetter, regular bge grill and then a raised grill on top of that. Used fresh lump, making sure bottom openings were lined up between fire box and vent. Seemed like once I got up to temp and then added ABT's the temp went way down and never could come back up. I left my guru at home, but will make sure to bring it on the next trip. See-Yaa

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]More than likely the pizza stone restricted your air flow.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mike,[p]Sounds like you restricted your airflow by having the bottom grid directly on the coals. We usually put the regular grid in on top of the fire ring, then the pizza stone, then a raised grid (we made one with ss bolts & washers - brings the level of the raised grid even with the lip of the bottom part of the cooker).[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]I've done ABT's direct and indirect. Even though neighbors have threatened to call the fire department with all the smoke floating thru the hood when I do them direct, I prefer the direct method. I use a raised grill at 350° to 375°. Wish I had a few right now.[p]Paul

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    I got my small last month and still playing around, but I am not having a problem getting high temps. I got the 8 inch deep dish to use as a platesetter. I also purchased a second 13 inch grid. Deep dish sits on the first grid, second grid sits on the deep dish.