Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New dual level/cast iron grill setup

Options
hardboiled
hardboiled Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is probably old news around here but I think it is really cool and for the Ottawa eggers it is at Capital City Appliance.

My wife was at the local egg store picking up some hickory and she came across a rig that the store had brought in - not built for the egg but fits a large anyway. It has a nice cast iron grill with a moulded round hole in the grate. There is a raised grill that has a rod that sits in the hole in the grate that raises the second metal grate about 2 inches above the gasket (with the cast iron sitting on the fire ring). It is made for some Bubba Keg contraption http://www.bubbakeg.com/Bubba_Keg_home.aspx

Super cool thing is that you can just rotate the upper grill out of the way whenever you want.

Tonight I put a small whole chicken rubbed with olive oil, salt and pepper on the raised grill and some potatoes and onions in a pan below the chicken on the lower grate (The Chicken style). Cooked at 375 dome direct stirring the potatoes a couple times. Absolutely killer

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Hardboiled, got any pics? Would love to see them. Sounds interesting.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hardboiled, that is a very cool setup. They come standard in the bubba keg grill. My brother just got his a few weeks back. The whole grill was $305, shipped. I am curious, what did they sell you just the grid for?
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    You sure about that price? I could be wrong but I thought I had seen and also been told that the Bubba Keg was pretty pricey, like as high or higher than an Egg.

I know regardless of price, the Keg doesn't compare to the Egg in quality and cooking.......and sometimes the rip-off products can come up with some cool ideas that the originals can take and perfect.

Step it up BGE! I want a quality made grid system like that one for my EGG!!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    SmokinParrotHead wrote:
    You sure about that price? I could be wrong but I thought I had seen and also been told that the Bubba Keg was pretty pricey, like as high or higher than an Egg.

I know regardless of price, the Keg doesn't compare to the Egg in quality and cooking.......and sometimes the rip-off products can come up with some cool ideas that the originals can take and perfect.

Yes, I am sure. The Big Steel Keg is $599 shipped, the Bubba Keg (older model) is $299 on closeout, if you can find it still. He paid $6 for shipping to his door. All Kamados are a rip off, I dont think BGE was the first Kamado cooker. Regardless, competition is good, hopfully BGE will acknowlege it and like you said, take a page out of their book and come up with a cool grid design.

By the way, the cooking on the Keg was every bit as good as the Egg. I have cooked pizza and ribs on his cooker so far. I like my Eggs though. :)
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    cookingdude555 wrote:
    SmokinParrotHead wrote:

Yes, I am sure. The Big Steel Keg is $599 shipped, the Bubba Keg (older model) is $299 on closeout, if you can find it still. He paid $6 for shipping to his door. All Kamados are a rip off, I dont think BGE was the first Kamado cooker. Regardless, competition is good, hopfully BGE will acknowlege it and like you said, take a page out of their book and come up with a cool grid design.

By the way, the cooking on the Keg was every bit as good as the Egg. I have cooked pizza and ribs on his cooker so far. I like my Eggs though. :)

uh oh........been nice knowin' ya here! JK. Seriously.....it is no Egg.....that is fo sho! :)
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Your right, its no egg, and thats ok. B)

I love my eggs, its been fun cooking on them so far. I know your just having fun, and I am too, but some seem to get uptight about their cooker.

By the way, that was a ton o ribs you got on that cook you posted. I havent cut any racks before to cook them, did you find it compromised them at all? If anything it seems like it might help to cook them faster. I know, wrong thread here, but I think I posted too much for one day on the other one. Oh wait, this one too, sorry ... :laugh:
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Yeah I am just having fun busting your chops on that Bubba Keg. To answer the question though, no I didn't find any problem cutting them.....cutting ribs is completely different than cutting a full piece of meat to cook. I cut them to make them cook more evenly and so that they didn't have to curl during the cook, and it worked out well. I have done them this way before and haven't had a problem yet but I rotate them every so often.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is I am going to probably use the medium when I want to take an egg with me. I know getting three full racks on the medium is a challenge without curling or cutting. And the medium will be going up against the bubba later this month at a family reunion. Should be fun. :cheer:
  • hardboiled
    Options
    Was $120 for the rack but things egg related are very expensive in Canada so I expect it would be cheaper in the US.
  • hardboiled
    Options
    Instant raised cook for chicken - no more double grill/splits for me. It sits higher up in the dome as well so that's nice too. I will someday report on the test of time but I've been playing with it for a week and I love it so far.

True test is going to be shuffling a whole mess of wings from upper to lower grill :)