Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fighting black/thick greasy build-up

Options
TomH
TomH Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks:

Having had my Large BGE for a bit over a year now, I'm finding that the BGE has 'accumulated' quite a bit of thick, black grease on the ceramic support on which the grill sets, the adjustable top vent, and the top edge of the BGE top vent. It's not goning to go away unless I take some stringent effort to get rid of it.

Does BGE 'recommend' a periodic 'hi-temp burnout' of the innards of the cooker? I mean, cranking the temp up to 600 deg F or higher and letting things 'cook' for a period of time, to let the high temperature burn off the grease?

I normally cook at less than 400 deg. F, so it's not at all unusual for greasy residue to accumulate. ANd when I do crank up the temp, it's usually for short periods of time (searing, etc.)

Short of "bite the bullet and get out the Ajax", what suggestions migh you be able to offer to solve the problem?

Summer regards,

Tom

Comments