Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blasphemy

Options
randomegger
randomegger Posts: 194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

While I'm just as much of a low and slow advocate as the next egger, it is not the only way to cook a pork butt. Yesterday I decided to try a fair size butt on the small egg, just for the helluvit. Coated the thing in butt rub the night before, slathered with mustard that morning and put it on a roasting pan at 7am. Had it up to 201 around 2:45p or so and cooked it around 275ish - my thermometer is not calibrated on the small and reads a bit high, so I'm guessing here. Total cook time less than 8 hours.[p]Wrapped it in foil, then a towel and chunked it in a cooler till 5. It was so tender you had only to threaten it with a fork to get it to fall apart. The only drawback was the pitiful amount of leftovers for today's lunch.[p]RE

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    randomegger,[p]My experience has been somewhere in the middle, time and temp-wise. I do my butts at 250 dome until 200 degrees, which has been between 16 and 18 hours. [p]Brought leftovers to work today and I expect to have none left, just like last time.
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    randomegger,
    I think part of the key to your cook and tender pork was the 5 hours in a cooler. That fat/tissue break down can occur during the cooling time as well. So your total cook time was about 13 hours when include the resting period.[p]Does that make it closer to the 2 to 2.5 hours per pound? [p]Just my 2 cents worth.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]If that's true Smoked, then my cooks have been more like 22-24 hours with cooler time. Saturday say my 8 pounder come of at 2:30pm and go into the cooler where it stayed until about 7pm. It was the best one I've done so far, and the leftovers have been top shelf too.[p]Gotta try something new this weekend like pork chops or something. [p]
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Smoked Signals, you are right on target, it keeps cooking. There can be some variation from one piece of meat to the next, also.It makes every cook interestng.

• randomegger
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Well, we unwrapped it at 6, so counting that time call it 11 hours. Regardless, I didn't have to start it the night before and worry about it in the wee hours to have it ready for dinner...[p]RE