Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using lighter fluid

Options
Scotty
Scotty Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
a guy told me to use starter chips or a chimney to light my fire....i dont have these , is it cool to use starter fluid(charcoal fluid) ??

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    scotty,
    IMHO - NO! not cool to do at all - get yourself some Weber starter blocks or go to Wally World and get some of that green starter gel.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    scotty, put your hands over your head and step away from the EGG.

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    scotty, scotty, scotty...NO! NO! A thousand times NO! I've seen the sawdust-paraffin starters next to the charcoal in every grocery store, green gel at Wally World and if all else fails, get MAPP torch. The Tao is not in the lighter fluid.[p]
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    scotty,[p]Home Depot and Lowes both carry the Weber starting cubes.[p]If nothing else crumple up some newspaper and stick it in the bottom vent. This is not a real good way to do it, but it better than starting fluid. [p]Steve-B
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    scotty,[p]Great a newbie that needs help starting a fire, I can answer this. you are not ready for this, butgo get a piece af newspaper, wad it up in a ball, take anather piece of paper an do the same thing. light the both pieces of paper and put the lump on top. open both vents wide and wait 15 minutes. best to have a beer on hand so that when you open up the egg you got somehthing to douse all the arm hair you are gonna loose. good luck
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    hey, scottie, I help you don't think we pounced on you, but rather we ganged up to protect you! Adding charcoal lighter fluid to the inside of a BGE - especially a new one - is unwise as the petroleum can smell up and foul up your ceramic for a while.
    Besides once you become one of us you'll marvel when that crappy smell floats through your yard from some neighbor who has attempted to float his brickets in fluid. Of course it will also marvel you when somebody who smells that and smacks his lips and says "hmmmm BBQ somewhere, don't ya love that smell?" Of course that will probably be the same dude who will ask for A-1 Steak sauce to kill the natural good taste of the $20 steak put in from of him! Of course you can serve those A-1 fans shoe leather as they won't know the difference anyway!

• msbrennan
    Options
    sigmore,[p]Gotta say, i read ure post and laughed out loud. Very funny sh*t.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    eggor,
    now that's pretty damn funny!!! LOL Joe