Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DWI - defrosting while impaired

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's Canada Day here in the GWN and I forgot to go shopping for some fresh food for the BBQ.

Arrived home after midnight - three sheets to the wind after our year end blast and without my glasses, I decided to defrost a marinated pork shoulder. I think I even dreamed about today's pork shoulder. To my surprise, it wasn't pork shoulder at all - the package contained chicken wings. I feel like chicken tonight...

On another note, I've never done it before, but I'd like to attempt a curry - maybe some sort of curried chicken. Any recommendations?

Michael

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Ahhahahaha! Too funny! I could see the visual! Can't help you with the curry; I use it often - with steak and chicken/onion stirfry, but I don't have any recipes.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Check out this post for now if you want. I have never done this. I saved it just in case I did want to do it. Tim :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901331&catid=1
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I'm just glad I didn't promise anyone pork - it would have been difficult making those little chicken wings look and taste like pig. Ha! Ha!

Looks like you and Mark are committed to the fest circuit this year. What's that - 3 or 4 now. You go girl!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Thanks Tim - Richard.

Sounds yummy!

Michael
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    My wife has a bunch of curries on our blog. If you search for curries or look under Indian Ethnic Food you'll find a bunch. She says any of them can be adopted for chicken. Warning... some of these (I think it's the red beef curry in particular) are ridiculously hot ... to the point where folks who grew up in India couldn't eat them. You've been warned.

Here are a few chicken ones that she recommended. Don't think we made any of these on the Egg, though there's no reason you couldn't. Click on the names to link to the recipes ...

Homestyle Chicken Curry (Murgir-Jhol)
    6a00e5502e1c018834012875c61c87970c-800wi

Chicken with Golden Tumeric
    6a00e5502e1c01883401053651a695970b-800wi

Hot and Sour Chicken
    6a00e5502e1c01883401156e9e7598970c-800wi

Chicken Chettinad
    6a00e5502e1c018834011570b85a1d970b-800wi

Enjoy!

-John
  • RGBHV
    Options
    The all look great!

I'm a wuss when it comes to heat but I have several friends (including my wife) that say "when you think it's too hot" make it hotter. I think I'm going to enjoy making them sweat!

Thanks,

Michael
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Those look wonderful!!!!
    Thanks for the info :woohoo:
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Here's the hot red curry link for you then. :evil:

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/02/red-meat-curry.html

You can tone down the heat on any of these by using less or milder chiles, or by using mild vs. hot curry pastes / powders.

-John
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    No problem. Thanks for the compliment. I'll certainly pass it on.

The best part of my wife doing that blog is that I get to eat this stuff every day. :)

-John
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Here is my Chicken Satay recipe that I've adapted for the grill. I bet you could work it with the wings. I serve it with cold sesame noodles. In fact, it was my first cook on my egg last week.

Chicken Satay

1 pound chicken breasts or thighs, deboned & skinned

1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon peanut oil

PEANUT SAUCE

1. Cut chicken into strips.
    2. Combine marinade ingredients. Add chicken and chill covered for 30
    minutes or more.
    3. Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Thread chicken onto skewers.
    4. Grill chicken until golden brown. Serve with Peanut Sauce

Peanut sauce:
    1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
    1 clove garlic -- minced fine
    dash cayenne -- ground
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    I used cream of coconut which is sweet

In a sauce pan, gradually heat the peanut butter, stirring constantly.
    Season with garlic and cayenne. Gradually add 1/2 cup water and coconut
    milk. Cook over low heat until sauce flavors blend. Taste and adjust
    seasonings.
    I also do this in a wok and mix the sauce mix in the sautéed chicken. Serve over somen sesame noodles.
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Chicken thighs are one of my favorites. I'll have to put those on the list for tomorrow's shopping!

Thanks,

Michael
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Michael, I'm thinking it will be four probably! Nieggara, sunshine, new eggland, MAYBE BBQ in the burgh, then nieggara again! Mark did nieggara, sunshine, waldorf, he will be doing the burgh (with tim and Virginia) and then nieggara again; both of our spouses are coming along this year. Loom forrward to seeing you - time has flown- it seems like just yesterday we were phone searching! :-)
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Three for me this year - sunshine, toronto and nieggara.

I'll make sure to lose my phone again this year - not!

Michael