Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium BGE - What can I fit?

Options
AnsonWilson
AnsonWilson Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

I've got a medium big green egg. I've cooked a few chickens and seared some great steaks, so I'm wanting to start to branch out and do some bigger cooks, such as a turkey and perhaps some brisket or pork.

Anybody have any advice as to how big of a turkey they have fit/would recommend for the medium?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    A 12 to 14 lb Turkey fits, (2) 8 lb butts fit, a 12 lb Packer cut brisket will fit although you may have to place empty can sideways under center in the beginning until it shrinks from cooking. These are sizes that comfortably fit. I have cooked a 16 lb Turkey, (2) 10 lb butts but things were a little tight.
  • AnsonWilson
    Options
    civil eggineer wrote:
    A 12 to 14 lb Turkey fits, (2) 8 lb butts fit, a 12 lb Packer cut brisket will fit although you may have to place empty can sideways under center in the beginning until it shrinks from cooking. These are sizes that comfortably fit. I have cooked a 16 lb Turkey, (2) 10 lb butts but things were a little tight.

Awesome. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    Options
    I would not try to push the size limit and look for a couple 7 lb butts. They are a common size and fit well on the medium. Also with this size your total cooking time makes a nice all day cook. Start early in the morning and finish in the evening thus allowing you to monitor the temp during the day. Much better than overnight and risking your fire going out.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    On my Med, I have never really tried to load it up. But, the most I have had were two 7 lb. butts at once. Obviously, it depends on their shape, but for me, this was about the max I would attempt and still feel comfortable I had good air flow all around until the meat starts to shrink.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    With the larger butts, I frequently need to stand them on their edge and lean together teepee style. The 10 pounders required a little pushing and shoving at first but they fit. I agree though, (2) seven pounders fit nicely.
  • AnsonWilson
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich wrote:

Thanks for that. I saw that before posting, but I assumed (correctly) that this forum would have better real world info.

Thanks guys!