Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help for SLOW AND LOW

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All right eggperts, I am having troubles smoking a brisket today. This is only the 4th time using my egg but my first slow and low smoking session. I lost my fire when I tried to drop the temp which shot up to 700 dam quickly. Some questions for you kind folks:[p]1. When do you add your wood chunks, after fire has burned out or stack them in when starting the fire?[p]2. How many wood chunks?[p]3. When should I close the vents to maintain 200-250?[p]Thanks in advance,[p]BOB

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]From one Bob to another.....[p]Here is my method and works well for me..... Others have their way as well.[p]I add my chunks (dry) when the flame is out and the coals are glowing.[p]I use 2-3 chunks about fist size.[p]I damper down within about 50-75* of my goal temp. If shooting for 250* you may want to begin choking the coals around 175-200*[p]You let the fire get far to hot and then tried to choke it to death. This will not work as it takes forever to cool this beast back down. Better to slowly bring it "up" to goal than to being it "down" to goal.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Bob

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]A wise person said here that the way to find 250ish is to straighten out a coat hanger and close both the top and bottom vents while the hanger is in the opening. That much air gives you 300. [p]What I do is this. After building the fire per Elder or Whiz's specs, let the fire burn a little, for maybe about 15 or 20 minutes. Then, close the lid and use the special doohicky mentioned above to find 250. Then, once you've got a good handle on the fire (about 30-45 minutes) put the meat on and forget about it.[p]Well, I still check mine pretty often due to my own OCD and various other self-diagnosed maladies, but it's always sitting quietly at 225 to 250 and mocking me.[p]
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]sorry about the two previous posts. Those two openings should hold 225-250, not 300. [p]Anyway, the point made after mine is most important. It's much easier to bring the temp up and than to cool it down. Letting the egg get to 700 and trying to come back down is nearly impossible. At that point, I'd shut the whole thing, wait out most of the fire, then fish out the coals into a steel bucket and start over. And leave the egg open while you do that, in hopes of letting more heat out.
  • Bob,[p]If you let the wood charcoal burn to coals isn't it already up above your target temp.[p]BOB

• Marine Cook
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]Personally when I start a low and slow cook I.
    1. I load the egg with lump I salt it with smaller chunks of wood, say 3" long and 1" square.[p]2. I start the fire using a map gas torch right in the center.[p]3. I place 3 or 4 fist sized chunks around where I started the fire.[p]4. I add the plate setter a water pan, wrapped in foil for easy clean up the grate and the meat on a V-rack.[p]5. When the temp gets to 160-70 I shut the top and bottom to about 1/8" to 1/4" and let her level off around 185 to 200 degrees.[p]6. I start my maverik wireless dual probe thermometer. One probe in the dome with a cork about half way up the length of the probe. This allow the probe to stick abou 2 1/2" inside the dome. The other probe is in the thickest part of the meat inserted to the center.[p]7. Set the dome probe at 210 and the meat probe at 200.[p]8. Observe...She will hover there with minor adjustments for as long as the fuel lasts. I can go at least 25 to 30 hours on a load that is about 2" below the plate setter.[p]I did 2 butts yesterday and last night.....outstanding!!!![p]IMHO there's no better way to cook. Good Luck.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]Usually not. [p]I start only a "small fire" in the "center" of the lump load. When I see the coals glow (slight) after the flame is out, I add my chunks and wait for clear smoke while dampering to my goal temp.[p]Are you using lump? How much area are you lighting? You must use a small fire and not light the full load for lo/slo.[p][p]I hope I am making since.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Am I understanding your post above correctly? You are lighting your lump and leaving the dome open for 15-20 minutes before closing it? [p]I usually light the egg, close the dome and leave the VENTS open for a bit before tweaking to come to my temp...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• I think I have a handle on it. I was lighting it and closing the dome with vents wide open. I came back 10 minutes later and it was roaring. I think I just need to light a small fire. I usually light 1 firestarter and then get impatient and light another one. I appreciate all the help.[p]Bullet Bob

• Bob,[p]I would start a small fire and then get impatient and light another one. I would leave it with dome closed and vents wide open. Thanks for the help.[p]Bullet Bob
  • msbrennan
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]A family friend just gave me his large BGE. I've been smoking with an off-set smoker for years. I was reading your post and I couldn't find the posts re: the best way to start a fire in the BGE. I'm doing ribs, brisket and butt this weekend and was going to use the BGE for the butt. Any help with the "how to's" of fire starting would be great. Thanks.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    msbrennan,[p]I'm no expert. Matter of fact, some might say I'm an idiot. But I can read (small words) and follow (basic) instructions. That said, here are two can't miss instruction thingies:[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm[p]Good luck and let us know how it goes...[p](BTW, elder's has great fire starting instructions, but backreading, I notice that whiz does too).
  • msbrennan
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Thanks!!!! I'll let you know.