Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers on the BGE

Options
danny285
danny285 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had burgers tonite , they were great as always

IMG_1280.jpg

Comments

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    we up the burger a notch by using "red oak" to add a special flavor

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What a great picture!! Glad your meal was tasty!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • danny285
    Options
    It was more of a practice run to see if i could remember how to post a pic. thanks.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm doing burgers Saturday. I was thinking about direct at 350, ten minutes a side. How did you do it? I'm still struggling with how to cook traditional grilled items on the egg.

bmnty
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I may have already asked you this.What part of the state is Carlisle???
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Hoss, looks to be about 30 miles due East of Little Rock. Gotta love google maps, especially "streetview".
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    350º is a bit low. You didn't mention how you like your burgers, but I'm a mid-rare to medium lover.

Burger cooks are essentially a sear. I like 650º for two and a half minutes or so on the first side (a bit longer, if they don't release from the cooking grid). Flip and cook for another two minutes, roughly. I like to cover the top with jalapeño slices during the two minutes and then cover the peppers with a nice, thick slice of provolone or whatever cheese strikes your fancy. Go another minute or two until the internal temperature of the burger temps at 165º with the thermapen.

Delicious, juicy burgers every time. I'm a big fan of toasted or grilled buns coated with mayo to provide a shield to keep the bread from soaking up all of the juices from the burger. I detest soggy bread! Condiments to your liking. Bacon, Sauteéd mushrooms, a slice of red onion and Heinz 57 sauce are my goto toppings. Jimmy Buffet style, modified a bit. Lettuce and tomato make for a fine salad, but I leave 'em out on my burgers.

YMMV. Burger thickness and meat quality may call for some adjustments. I usually make the patties from 90/10 beef in the 1/3 pound range. No complaints, yet.

Joe
  • danny285
    Options
    Correct,Carlisle is About 30 mi east of lr, exit 183 off I-40, i cook almost everything at 250 dome, burgers, steak, butts, ribs etc. am in no hurry.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    Well, my family is definitely a "if there is red in the burger, it isn't done" family. That's why i tend to cook it at lower temps for longer. Plus, I put stuff in my burger meat that causes a sear to over-carmelize. I tend to shy away from that type of method.

I'm open to any input. I think i'll try 400* for about eight to nine minutes a side. I usually try to flip twice. the first two times to cook most of the way and the last time to ensure it's cooked through.

bmnty