Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father Day Meal

Options
Goody
Goody Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nothing incredibly exciting. Just was in the mood for a good steak. Picked up 4 NY Strips from Sam's for $6 and change per lb. Rubbed them with EVO, DP Raising the Steaks and a little white pepper for some extra flavor. Decided to go a little adventurous on the side dish. Cut some apples in half, cored them and peeled the skin off. Brushed them with some maple syrup and the sprinkled them generously with DP Pineapple Head. Put them on the egg for 5 - 10 minutes in a shut down egg after the steaks while they rested. They had great flavor. Probably could have gone a little more to soften them to the core, but they were good. It was almost like eating the apples at cracker barrel, but it was made at home and on the egg. I think I am starting to dig the grilled fruit thing! It is well worth experimenting with.

The Raws

DSC_0001_4.jpg

DSC_0002_4.jpg

The Cooked

DSC_0003_3.jpg

DSC_0004_3.jpg

Anybody had any luck with other fruits and cooking methods?

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I've grilled fresh pineapple slices brushed with rum and vanilla. Could be served with ice cream. Steve Reichlin grilled plums quartered and skewered with a cinnamon stick and slice of lemon peel, basted with sweetened port wine reduction. Anxious to try that one.
    PattyO
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Looks nice. Someone mentioned putting a mini Carmel Milky Way in the center of the apple. That sounds very good.
    Nice grill marks on the steaks.

Mike
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Steaks look great!! Let's kick up the apples a bit. What I do is keep them whole. Core enough (big core) to fill with stuff. Whatever you have on hand. Oats, nuts, cinn., nutmeg, raisins, craisins, brown sugar, whatever you think goes with apples (pulled pork even, think out of the box). Put it all in a bowl and dust with flour. Stuff the apples and top with butter. Oh, tip cut a bit off the bottom so it is stable and doesn't wobble. Put them on a plank and then on the egg. If you've got a dessert beverage, drizzle that on top and bake on the egg with a fruit wood. You will never do them any other way. I really hope that you try this, let me know. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE