Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competition menu help needed

Options
Ripnem
Ripnem Posts: 5,511
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a neat little competition coming up this weekend and I can't get settled on a menu. The set-up of the comp. is not your typical bbq slo-n-low deal.

They have 3 categories: Appetizer, side dish and an entree. They will also have a 'Grand Champion' incorporating all of them. I have a call in to them to find out how they will be doing that, accumulative scoring or getting them all back together and judging them as a unit. I'm thinking accumulative.

Some of the rules:
-You can make anything you want.
-It must be cooked to 140* (no matter the cut of meat).
- You must bring your own cooker
-No pre-treating of the meat
-can't feed the public
-no alcohol

Schedule
11:00 light the lump
1:00 turn in appitizer
2:00 turn in side dish
3:00 turn in entree

So my goal is to cook 3 things no one alse will be doing. What I've come up with so far is Crab stuffed Prawns for the app. and twice baked taters for the side and finally AZRP's "The Chicken" .

Whatcha all think?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sounds like a winner.
    Good luck.
    Mike
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Sounds good, that's a nice time line, should give you plenty of time to get everything done. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    does the shrimp fall under the 140 meat rule. i like those poatoes stuffed with all those cheeses and then finished on a cedar plank if your looking for ideas. shrimp stuffed with horseradish wrapped in proscuito or bacon is pretty good and simple, cant remember what they call those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Adam,

Sounds good from here. I did a Bomba marinated shrimp on the weekend that just rocked. If Molly left you any Bomba that is :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Options
    Steve,

I have one unopened jar left. I'm guessing the marinade would put an awful hurtin on it. :ohmy: Tell me more, or is that it, just plop'em in Bomba for as long as I can then cook?.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I sure think so. Is that a problem? Come to think of it, I've never measured the temp of a shrimp.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Randy,

Sure hope you pull through for me. :ermm:

Oh, by the way. They also claim rights to the recipes and photos taken. :S
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Adam,

We ended up with an unplanned dinner party on Saturday where family brought food and wanted me to cook. Some arrived late and we didn't have an appetizer. I thawed some frozen shrimp and looked for a rub or sauce for it. I had a case of bomba on the dining room table and thought it couldn't be too bad ;) Coated the shrimp with bomba and left them for 1/2 an hour. Skewered and grilled and they were some good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Options
    Thanks Mike. Next weekend I'm in a rib contest up in the North Woods. $5 entry and they provide all the ribs. :laugh: Buncha competitors feeding the public and the judges all at once. They want us to do 8-12 racks of spares. I'm pumped for that one too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    ive never measured the temp either and 140 sounds high. shrimp lejon is what i was originally thinking, most of those have a remoulade and its probably cause they start to dry out cooking the bacon crisp. im just not sure if shrimp is considered meat as alot of books separate them out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    There is a local Harley Dealer, they have a contest every year. I couldn't make it last year, but will be there will bells on this year. No specfic category, just cook something good. :)

Mike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Good luck Adam!
    Any other eggheads helping you?
    Which egg(s) are you taking?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Adam...I have done a lot of competing....The main rule I follow....Simple is best!! Keep the ingredients list at a minimum, and draw some pics of your presentation so you can visualize when your plate. Don't forget to think of your garnishes...they can make or break you. Menu sounds good, but just remember, not everybody likes "heat". Wish you the best!!! Let us know how it goes, please? :)
  • Ripnem
    Options
    LC,

I was wondering about garnish. Molly made the same good point. Any ideas?

Presentation is for sure a concern for me, as I am still an eater more than a presenter. I'm unsure on plating and what it SHOULD look like.

5 Judges
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Thanks Dan.

It's a 1 cook, cook.

I'll bring the large and small.

I'm just very curious what others will be cooking on. :whistle:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Adam...Haven't read any of the other posts, so if I am duplicating, my apology. Garnish rule #1....make sure it is edible!!! Nothing is more annoying than a sprig of thyme or rosemary sticking out of my mashed potatos! :angry: It's just something I have to remove, and find a place for, before I can eat.
    As merely an example with this menu working quickly here as dinner is almost done.....the crab stuffed prawns....just off the cuff...a circular drizzle of clarified butter, a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley, and a half a grilled lemon (grilled side up). Done.
    Twice baked tater....I am assuming it is tater and cheese? Garnish with the typical tater fixings...pipe some sour cream to look nice, then top with some bacon lardon, nicely sliced (on the bias) green onion or chive, and just a few shreds of cheddar? Use a small plain white or black plate, and it is good to go!
    "the chicken"....I admit, I haven't made it yet, but I know it is red (is it hot?). I would use a plain white background. If it is hot, garnish with some cooling things like a shredded cucumber yogurt and dill slaw?? Would something like that go with??
    These were just some prelim ideas to get your juices flowing...lol. Use your imagination and creativity. You have plenty of time with the time line given. Stay relaxed. Rock-n-Roll!!! :laugh:

Adam...this is an edit...I missed the 140* rule. Your shrimp will be like shoe soles. I added above to fishless' post.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    DANG!!! Good catch!!!! Totally missed the 140* rule! Who made THAT rule?? :blink: Your shrimp would be like a shoe sole at 140*. Let's think....how about just a crab app instead? That has to reach boiling point to cook. Have to eliminate shrimp, scallop, and fish because of the 140 rule. :( :angry: Pork tenderloin medallion??
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I love it but THE CHICKEN is spicy.Maybe cook it as directed then smother in honey. ;)
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Hoss,

Have you made this one? I am in the middle of the 'heat' spectrum, for a yank. :)
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    I am far from a competition cook, so I hate to chime in, but a recent experience in a chili cookoff makes me side with LC. After getting thoroughly pounded, I was sampling one of the other entries, when a judge told me that my entry was the best but it was just too spicy for some.

"The Chicken" is in my top five since joining the site, but then I love it spicy - not everyone is like me, I guess.

Good luck, Adam.