Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Hatching

Options
BuffaloBrewer
BuffaloBrewer Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up the new large egg yesterday and put it together this morning and fired it up this afternoon. Temperature control was fairly easy as I learned to sneak up on it instead of overshooting it and trying to cool by reading the forum. I did have one issue putting it together. The top band didn't want to line up at the top of the groove on one side of the top. Anybody have any ideas what I might have done wrong and how to fix (tried a few times to fix it)? Ribs turned out nice and tasty.

Here are the obligatory pictures....
ready for cooking
4718820851_7039730099.jpg

the light
4719468720_f6d1d91343.jpg

smokin'4718821009_d362174ab6.jpg

obligatory beer shot
4719468850_5e92381fc8.jpg

ribs on

4718821205_ed2abe1cf6.jpg

mopped4719469086_7fb3f76472.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Congrats on the best purchase of your life!! Great pics!
    How'd the meal turn out?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    Very tasty. I overshot the meat temp so the ribs were a little overdone. Guess I need to get more toys like a remote thermometer!

Can't wait for tomorrow to see how much lump and I used (and to put the offset smoker on freecycle).
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Your thinking right!! Time to look for an eggcessories holder thingmagingy. :laugh: :silly:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Vol Jack
    Vol Jack Posts: 35
    Options
    Finally gonna get around tomorrow on assembling my new Large Egg.
    been a little busy, with the wife having the baby and all...
    Looking forward to cooking....not the assembly.
    anything more mechanical that screwing in a light bulb and I am lost.
  • BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    Mine went together fairly easily, except for the top band not positioning itself "just right". A deep 1/2" socket would have taken a lot of time off the job too.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Having the top band pushed tight against the casting flange is not really what you want.
    With the lower band pushed down tight the space between the two bands needs to be even all the way around [approx 3/8" on mine]. If the space is even and the dome is flat on the base you should have a good seal. Do the dollar bill test to check :)
    Hope this helps.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    Thanks Capt. I did the test and it was sealed nice and tight. I have to take the dome off once I get the table built so i'll try to even the band out then (probably next weekend.)