Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the gasket gurus

Options
Cruzr
Cruzr Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought a used med Egg, and have a couple questions about the gasket. If the pics work, what kind of gasket is this? Doesn't look like felt or nomex from what I can see in searches. There is no gasket on top which is no big deal, and it seals good all around, no leaks, tho I haven't gone ballistic with temps...yet. But it looks like there are two layers on the bottom, and of course nothing on top. Is this the way this gasket comes, or is this a dorked up install? Can the gasket be separated and one installed on top, or like the Beatles song, just let it be?

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

Comments

• Cruzr
    Options
    supposed to be this pic
    DSC_0198.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks like two Rutland gaskets only I've never seen a white one. If it seals well, I say Let it Be.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I don't have a Rutland to compare it with. It looks more like 2 layers of Cotronic to me.

The traditional install is one layer top & one layer bottom. A lot of people do bottom only and some no gasket at all.

I would think one layer on top of the other would allow some separation.

Other than the material content it looks like the egg will function just fine with the way it is.

GG
  • Cruzr
    Options
    by "other than the material content" do you mean fiberglass or something similar?

If yes, that might be reason enough for me to change the gaskets out for something else.

If they are replaced, what is commonly used or recommended other than felt?

Thanks for your help!
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    Nomex or arimid (generic nomex) is the best
  • Cruzr
    Options
    ok, after further review, I found that I definitely have the Cotronic's gasket, confirmed on TNW's and Bubba Tim's websites. Thanks, GG for pointing me in the right direction. ;):)

Since the two layers of gaskets are stacked on top of each other, is there going to be a problem pulling these apart and installing the top gasket on the top of the EGG?

I think the gaskets would seal around the ET-73 probe wires better, but it hasn't been a big deal so far. Should there be enough of the gasket to put it on top?
    I have the 3M-77 adhesive.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Trust me, OK? those are NOT Rutland gaskets!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Why remove it. I fish my Maverick lines through the DFMT. It sounds like it has a good seal. I say leave it and enjoy the nice tight seal that you have. That Cotronics is not going to burn up, so it should last you a while.

Although I just said all of that like I was an expert, All of my eggs have toasted and missing OEM gaskets.

:whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am guessing the Cotornic is fiberglass, however it doesn't look or feel like traditional fiberglass.

BGE recommends Nomex. I still use felt on all my eggs. The felt works very well for me. 3 or so years ago I was really burning out felt gaskets and still have 3 or 4 sets of felt gasket on hand.

When I want to sear with extremely high heat I take the food down to the lump or load the lump up close to the food.

On my large I use the Spider, on my medium for now I use some metal strap bent to hold the grid. On the small I remove the fire ring and put the grid on the fire box then insert the fire ring and put the food up for the finish of the cook. The mini is a searing machine just load, light and sear.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am sort of with cookingdude555 on this one. Leave well enough alone. With felt gaskets the probe wires will form a grove which doesn't go away after a while. Not sure what the Cotronic does.

When using probes I go through the dome/base. I have always been concerned about the DFMT pinching the wires.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

How is your gasket replacement going - done yet?

When you get time check your email.

Kent
  • Cruzr
    Options
    Well, thanks gurus for all the help. I figured it wouldn't take long to sort this out. I'll stick with what I've got for now. I can always guide the probes through the gasket layers. The double gasket sure makes a good cushion when closing the lid.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Coltronics is woven ceramic. Good stuff. Ceramic gaskets are used on the big bucks Komodo Kamado.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

How is your gasket replacement going - done yet?

When you get time check your email.

Kent

Got it, and thank you. Its going to be another time. Family got in the way today. The mini is still dismantled on the counter, my wife is very happy about that.

Deckhand wrote:
    Coltronics is woven ceramic. Good stuff. Ceramic gaskets are used on the big bucks Komodo Kamado.

I was wondering what they used. My brother in law wanted one of those, and I remember him mentioning they dont have gasket issues. (dont worry, I twisted his arm into getting an egg first).
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    What you have there is two layers of adhesive-backed Cotronics improperly installed, but if it works just leave it.