Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin for Dad (SBGE)

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whenever we visit Dad I always take something smoked. He loves the stuff. This time he is getting a fatty along with half a pork loin cured for Pioneer Bacon.
He was raised in extreme rural south, on a farm without electricity. The smoke house still stands on the family property. Time & again I have to bear the same ole stories of hog quarters hanging from the rafters. His grand father whom everyone called "Big Daddy" ran the farm while his Dad worked at the Mill 10 miles away. Big Daddy was also the smoke master, a talent passed down from his grandfather. Though he never learned to read or write, Big Daddy was evidently very intelligent and supposedly ran a tight ship with crew consisting of his 9 grandsons(my uncles). Big Daddy died when I was a baby but I have always wondered if he would approve of the smoked meats I pull off. My "Uncle Billy"(who played ball for Bear Bryant) was taught the art of smoking by Big Daddy. He taught me most everything I know about smoking and barbecue.
Dad turns 80 later this year, and I hope to hear the ole smokehouse stories for years to come.

IMG_3087.jpg

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Great story Ron. Say hi to your pop for me and I'll do the same when I see mine in a few weeks.

Doug
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great story Ron!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Sounds as if he as well as you are in for some good eats and good memories. Enjoy the moment. Sometimes they end before we expect. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Now your daughter gets to hear the stories. Loved reading about your past and present. Have a good fathers day Ron. :)
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Great story, thank for sharing. I lost my dad at 85 last summer. He was rich with stories of growing up on a farm in rural Arkansas and of fighting in the Korean war. Enjoy your dad and his stories, even if this is the umpteenth time hearing them! God bless and early happy Father's Day.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Ron. I wish I could hear the same old stories from my dad. He passed away years ago, at only 69. Mom will be 94 on the 4th of July though, so I still have her to tell me those stories. :) Will be there (Virginia) for her birthday - never miss it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thanks folks. Happy Fathers Day to all.