Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on doing some Pulled Pork this weekend and had a few questions. This is the first time I have tried cooking one at low temps (225). From what I have gathered, a 7lb Boston Butt will take anywhere from 14 to 20 hours. Is this correct? I need to have it ready by 4 PM Sat, so what would be safe starting time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    George,
    Click on this site - ot is a long, but valuablr read to strt you off on the right foot.

[ul][li]Elder Ward instructions [/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    with p*ss poor spelling like that you'd think I'd been drinking which I haven't!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    George,[p]Ron has steered you in the right direction towards Elder Ward's classic treatise...... it's a fine read from a fellow North Carolinian and it's worth reading a coupla times to get the real gist of his message.
    Elder Ward is the Man and much missed on this board.[p]The standard for your cook is 1.5 to 2 hours per pound at your 225..... maybe more maybe less..... I'm gonna guess 16 hours if you keep the temp consistent and you don't open the lid very often.
    It would be good to add a couple of hours to your time for the the butt to rest, wrapped in newspaper and in a cooler, before pulling and serving.[p]So, my suggestion would be to put it on your established fire no later than 9 or 10 pm the night before and I think you'll be fine.[p]Good luck and let us know how it turned out.... and welcome to the forum![p]John [p][p]

• DSC01356.jpg
    <p />George,
    It took these 16 hours and 29 minutes at 240 dome and 195 internal. They pulled perfect. I put them on at 7:30 on Friday evening and took them off after noon on Saturday. I put them in a cooler and pulled apart at 6:30 and still warm.[p]Jerry