Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to move a large egg

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I am going camping for several days, starting TOMORROW, and the plan is to take my large egg (the only one I have) along on the trip. 3 chickens, 2 pork butts, 4 racks of ribs, hamburgers, ribeyes, and bacon wrapped filets are on the menu, as well as corn, potatoes, and anything else we decide to pick up along the way.[p]We will be taking a pickup truck, with the back slam full of camping equipment. There is going to be a bit of a walk involved (200 yards?) once we stop, so I know I will have to remove the top and the other pieces once I arrive due to weight.[p]My question is, are the other internal pieces, such as the firebox and ring, safe traveling INSIDE the egg during the road trip (bad bouncy roads, over creeks, etc., etc.)? I will probably wrap the entire thing in a blanket to provide protection for the sides and bottom. I had also considered wrapping each piece individually with bubble wrap or the equivalent, but I am not sure this is 100% necessary.[p]Can anyone who travels with their egg frequently let me know the best way to travel? I only have until tomorrow morning, so I do not have the time to make any of the fancy carriers that I have seen folks build on this site.[p]Thanks![p]Mike

Comments

• Charcoal Mike,[p]Gat a golf cart and put your egg on the back and you now have a partabile egg :-)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    i've transported my large a number of times now to various bbq competitions, either in the back of my station wagon, or in brett's minivan. . . in both cases i leave it completely together, with no problems experienced with the fire box, ring, dome, etc. . .i think it is all too heavy to 'bounce'. .. to move it around on grassy ground, we've found a two wheel dolly to work well (here i recommend protecting the egg's finish with a blanket or towell to keep the metal dolly from rubbing/chipping the finish. . [p]hope this helps[p]max

• egghead2004
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    If it were me, I'd disassemble and wrap each piece with at least newspaper. I'd even take the dome off and re assemble at the site. I know it's worth more work, but it beats a cracked egg.
    Dane

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    crane3.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike,
    This help any???
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That picture makes me laugh every time I see it. It shouldn't...it's not that funny. [p]Yet it does.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]See, that's one of those things I wouldn't be able to get by tomorrow.....[p]And that picture makes me laugh too - every time I see it.[p]- Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,i have never moved an egg far, but i have carried a keg up a mountain. cut one of those blue plastic drums in half, cut four handles in the newly formed bucket, tie four short ropes to the handles, attach 2 ropes to each of 2 oars, 4 people each with one side of an oar on their shoulder, easy walking. would work for an egg and a second trip for a keg.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charcoal Mike,
    I think I would have a helecopter drop it in. Oppps, fly it in.
    Actually, I would take all the pieces out and wrap them seperate. The blanket thing will be good. Maybe you need to have a wagon to pull it to the camp site. 200 yards is a long way to lug the Egg. Good luck. [p]Jerry

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Mike,
    When I had my new LBGE delivered, the guys had the spring hinge, top and bottom assembled at the store. That assembly was strapped to the side of their panel truck, with all the innards outside the Egg. The ceramic parts were loosely wrapped in shipping blankets and the metal parts were in a cardboard box. [p]I haven't done it, but if I were going to move my Egg over any distance and/or rough road, I think I'd take their example, removing the ceramic innards and setting them on some sort of padding for the trip. You could put the fire ring on, say, a blanket, wrap the blanket over the top of the fire ring, then nest the fire box inside the ring to save a bit of space, I would think.[p]Enjoy your egging in the wilderness.[p]Bob

• egghead2004
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I like your idea

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, I think the current Governor of NEW JERSEY is looking for work....Maybe... He??...is that the right word... likes to hug things...maybe he could pick up yur luvable, hugable EGG and carry it to the destination. He might like to camp out with y'all,too. Is the camping location near Jersey.....?? The Gov. can not travel to distant locations due to terrorist/homeland security concerns and the recent resignation of his security advisor.