Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lodge Dutch Oven - What to cook?

WhackMaster719WhackMaster719 Posts: 307
edited 10:33AM in EggHead Forum
Someone in my office was getting rid of some cast iron and handed down a nicely seasoned Lodge 10qt Dutch Oven, and CI wok.

So, as this is my first DO, what should I make in it? I would like to make something really nice for the wife to show off the DO.

Also, since I don't have a spider yet, can I put the wok in my WOO3 on the large? Will it work like that or just wait till I get the spider?

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Clay Q's pulled beef
    Chili
    Baked Bread

just a few choices.... :)
  • civil eggineercivil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I just started using one and made some peach cobbler that was really good.

Melt 1/2 stick butter in bottom, pour in one large can sliced peached with syrup. Stir in one small container of peach yogurt and one box of yellow cake mix lightly. Sprinkle with cinnimon, put light layer of instant oatmeal (dry) then another dusting of cinnamon. Top with 1/2 stick butter cut into chunks and spread around top. Bake in egg at 400 dome for around 1/2 hour until toothpick comes out dry. Good and easy dessert while people are chowing down on the main course.
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I love Cast Iron and have skillets, DO's and camp oven with the feet. I love woks and have a couple. Real woks are thin carbon steel that heat quick and cool quick. Cast iron is for dutch ovens, skillets and camp ovens, woks? not so much. I am not saying you can't cook in a CI wok but it just isn't the same stir fry. A hot CI wok will very likely overcook most anything you cook in it. My suggestion is when you get the spider get a real wok to produce real stir fry.

In your DO try smoky baked beans, biscuits, bread or stews.
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    If you get really interested in dutch ovens there is a wonderful Yahoo group dedicated to Dutch Oven Cooking. Actually there are several but the one named Dutch Oven Cooking is the most active and they have a ton of recipes, some written specifically to whatever size oven you have.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

doroast7.jpg

Here is the a Link for the Full Details

GG
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I made a loaf of bread and baked in in my DO. Tim

000_1126.jpg

000_1127.jpg

000_1131.jpg

000_1135.jpg

000_1134.jpg

000_1137.jpg
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    You should be able to sit it on the grid at reg level, or on PS legs up as shown in 2fats reply.
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    Dutch ovens are great on the BGE. I put mine on trivet on top of an inverted plate setter.

Carnitas
    carnitas_020910P1010520.JPG

Chili
    chili_012610P10104141-425x318.jpg
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    i second clay's pulled beef.
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    my favorite do cook is thirdeye's pepper beef

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/07/pepper-beef.html

i have made this twenty or so times and i never get tired of it..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BoogieBoogie Posts: 137
    Carnitas or Green Chile. See my earlier posts for how I do my Green Chile. Awesome stuff.