Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kobe beef ribeye

Options
Hiites
Hiites Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always wanted to try Kobe beef and found a little meat market in Trimble, MO that carries it. Picked up some meat there while on vacation and among what I picked up was a ribeye steak.
Kobesteak001.jpg
Seasoned it with some Montreal Steak seasoning, olive oil, soy and wooster sauce.
Kobesteak002.jpg
Seared it over high, direct heat for a couple of minutes on each side. Then put the plate setter in for some indirect heat.
Kobesteak006.jpg
Left it on just a little too long but it still had some pink inside.
Kobesteak009.jpg
It was pretty good but I have to admit that it wasnt worth the price. I'm glad that I gave it a shot though.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Soy and Woo on a Kobe?
    So much liquid on your Kobe
    hurts your char and Kobe cooks faster.
    Give it another try with a "very" light rub
    of EVOO, salt and pepper. Don't pour EVOO on your steak.
    Just rub a little in.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    I went to this food and wine festival in January and got to try Kobe at one of the stations there, and I could totally see why the prices are so high for it. They had sliced it really, really thin and it was practically raw but I couldn't believe how much flavor it had.

I'm not one of the steak purists who like nothing more than salt and pepper - I love all the flavors you used, and I love making fun sauces or relishes to compliment steaks, but Photo Egg is right on: with a cut as expensive as yours, why bury the natural flavors of the meat? And by the looks of the pic, the ribeye is more well-done than pink so I think you lost a lot of flavor there, unfortunately.

My advice, if you spring for the good stuff again: salt, pepper, and a very quick sear. Anything more than medium-rare and I think you'd be doing yourself an injustice.