Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When posting pics, think about us newbies

Options
Beaumonty
Beaumonty Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying to teach myself temperature regulation. Through trial and error, I've started to get the idea. I'd like to reduce the error, though.

For folks that post pictures of their food and comment on their temps, how hard would it be to post an extra picture of the daisy wheel setting and bottom vent? maybe if you've done it in the past, you could just reply to this thread with pics.

I used to consider myself an expert griller when it was just direct, gas. With the Egg, I'm back to square one and am ready to master this sucker. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Beaumonty....GG has a great post of vent setting photos with approximate temps achieved with each setting. Perhaps he will see this and post for you. It's a lot easier to follow one post than perhaps 200 settings you may see. Truly...you will get the hang of it before you know it. Always err on the conservative side of your vent settings, as it is easier to ramp temp up, than to cool the Egg down. Hopefully GG will respond with his pics. Best to you, and happy egging!
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    I agree. Also, in addition to Little Chef's response, some of the temperature control will depend on your particular lump charcoal, local humidity (or lack thereof), how windy it is, how you build your fire, etc.

I'm really in the same boat as you are. Before I got my egg a couple of months ago, I felt like I was a master griller (either on gas grill or a standard briquette grill). With the egg, I once again felt like a complete apprentice! It's such an interesting "eggsperience" learning everything all over again. haha.

Cheers,

-Rezen
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Thanks Adam!!! I searched, and couldn't find that!! Then tried to look through GG's posts... :blink: ...he posts a lot!! Thanks for your help!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Good job Adam, I wish the powers that be would make it a sticky, it would save some of us a lot of work. I'd like a quarter for every time I have referred someone to it. ;)

Gator

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

:)

The search word "Tips" will pick up the post.

For those that look for it view the most recent post.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Pictures aren't going to tell the whole story. They may help, but there are many variables that affect the temperature. You can control temps with only the bottom vent or only the top vent. The total number combinations of vent settings for any particular temp borders on infinite. Other variables include the amount of mass in the egg that needs to be heated (i.e. platesetter, food, dutch ovens, etc), the amount of lump used, the brand of lump used, and so on.

Trial and error really is the best way. You will get to the point where you can light your egg, set the vents, and walk away only to return in 15-20 minutes and be within 25 degrees of your intended cooking temperature.