Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is 200 too low?

Options
walrusegger
walrusegger Posts: 314
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a brisket flat on (one hour in) and the temp is holding nicely at just a tick above 200. Is that ok? I know everyone talks about a 240-275 range, but I'm in no hurry and fine with a nice "really low and slow".

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You run a higher risk of having your fire go out at that low of a temp...that's why most go with 235 to 250...if you plan on checking it regularly thru the night you most likely will be fine..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If thats dome temp you will never hit 195 meat. Nothing wrong with starting slow if you can keep the fire going but you will have to bump it up at some point. I would not leave there overnight even if you are using a stoker or guru.
  • walrusegger
    Options
    I'll be out here for awhile (seems my beer has a hole in it!). I may kick it up a hair to be safe in the wee hours when I decide to call it a night.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm no brisket expert (or temp expert either for that matter), but everything I've read here says that it's very hard to maintain low temps like that. It's 10PM where you are, so unless you want to stay up all night babysitting the fire, I would suggest you bump it up to 250° which is much more likely to hold overnight.

As for 200°, it really will take forever to get the meat to the temp you want it if the dome temp is that low. Grid temp is normally 20-25° (I think) lower than dome so your brisket might not be done til next Tuesday!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• walrusegger
    Options
    I'll kick up a bit, thanks folks. Here's a photo of some poppers I did with a cream cheese, lump crab and cilantro filling and some chicken thighs (jerk seasoning, light bbq sauce). I've done popper a lot, and always devein (sp?). But they were killer hot tonight. Anyone just get a real hot batch of jalapenos?

madegger.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Walrusegger....Absolutely!!! There are way too many factors to consider on the killer hots....how long ago they were picked, where they were grown, the ph of the soil....etc...You truly never know. (you sure you just haven't turned into a heat sissy??? :ohmy: ) Just kidding you of course...but the previous statements were true. :)
    PS...we do our briskets 215* dome with a DigiQ. Without a DigiQ, I would suggest 240-250 dome temp. Best to you, and happy eggin!
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    if the dome says 200, grid is lower... maybe (if lucky) at best 190 or so.

if you want 195 internal, you'd never get there
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The purpose of a lo-n-slo is to allow the connective tissue (collagen) to slowly turn to a liquid rather than turn to tough chewy gristle.

People talk about a plateau temperature around 160 and that is when the change is taking place and all the energy is going into the conversion of the collagen into a liquid rather than raising the temp of the meat.

250-275 works fine and there is no real advantage to going lower.