Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mastered Pizza Dough

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been tinkering with pizza dough for 2 years much to the anger of my wife because my pizza's are to die for generally. Had my son's 27th birthday and daughters 1st year wedding anniversary party on Friday. Wife wanted pizza!

On thursday I made the dough now pay attention cause this is complicated.

Placed 1 packet of instant yeast in 2 Cups 120 degree water with 1 TBS sugar for about 1/2 hour until it was rapidly bubbling. Added 600g bread flour and 200g of all purpose flour and mixed thouroughly. Did not place any salt in the dough. Immediately placed in refridgerator and punched down twice over the next 24 hours. Allowed to warm up at room temperature for 4 hours after forming into 4 dough balls. Gently formed the pizza crusts.

That's it! Excellent flavor, nice airy texture, best crust to date after trying every variation imaginable.

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Seems like even I might be able to do that. What did you mix it with?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What, Tim...no pressure cooker?! :)

Sounds simple enough - what kind of crust? New York? Pizza Hut? Neapolitan?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Tim - Thanks for sharing. Did you use kitchenaid? What speed, and how long? Thanks!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    This was the first time I mixed dough using the KA mixer. Normally knead by hand and don't really believe there would have been any difference in texture.

I shaped the dough probably 1/4" thick. It wasn't a cracker type crust but was crunchy. I also had some left over so baked them into bread which was also delicious. I think having the dough sit a long time to develop flavor, using a small amount of yeast, and omitting the salt is what made it. Anyhow, I think I have found one to stick with and start perfecting the sauce.
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    Options
    What do you mean by "punched down"?
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Itr means pretty much what it says. You punch down the risen dough to expel the carbon dioxide gases so that it can rise or proof again.
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    Options
    Gotcha! Thanks.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Tim, can you do a thin crust pizza with that recipe?

Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Tim, can you do a thin crust pizza with that recipe?

Ross
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    I am also in search of the pizza crust grail. I will give this a try. It sounds great. Thank you.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I am sure you could. It fact my recipe is for a 12" pie since I have a medium egg and that is what my stone size is. If it was flattened into a greater diameter you could get a thinner crust. Mama also likes a crunchy crust so I make sure I cook it enough to get that texture.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Little Chef:

I mixed it using a dough hook on slow for maybe 5 minutes. It was formed into a pretty good blob without much sticking to the side. When I placed it in a bowl I was impressed on how smooth the dough was and seemed to already have a good "window pane" texture from development of the gluton. I never really noticed that before with any other dough I have made.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Tim - Thanks! Ironically, the best dough I ever made, I made in an absolute panic because the first batch was like a rubber band, and our guests were on the way! Lessons to be learned here. ;) Thanks again.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Do tell about this "best dough ever"...... ;)
  • Fidel
    Options
    No salt? That's blasphemy!!

Seriously, I have read that salt is really critical in the structure and crumb of the cooking pizza. I've never tried one without, but sounds like yours turned out quite well.

I may need to give it a shot. Like you, I've done a good bit of experimenting with pizza dough, hydration levels, temperatures, etc.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I had a little help from a friend. B) But I was sworn to secrecy. :whistle: And I have kept my promise.... :laugh:
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I intended to knead some salt in it before I used it. Instead I used onion salt and garlic powder on top of the crust before the tomato based pizza sauce. I am sure their are benefits of salt in dough although salt will retard the yeast development. I will say the left over pizza dough balls I threw in the oven :blush: did not receive a very dark colored crust when finished but where tasty. However the pizza developed a nice color as I looked through the exhaust vent with a flashlight while cooking to determine when it would meet mamas approval. I also forgot to mention, I normally cook my pizzas at 400 dome indirect instead of the high temp cooks. I like to load my pies up with a lot of ingredients and find the longer cook time (1/2 hour) gets everything nice and bubbley and browned. While guests are eating pie #1, pie #2 is in the egg cooking...rinse and repeat.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Good thread, Tim. Thanks for sharing your experience. Was it much better than what you can acquire at your local pizzeria?
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Mr brother owns the best pizza restaurant in 100 miles. I don't even eat there any more because my pizza's are at whole another level. That's not brag...just the facts! ;)

I hear more moaning and sighing when serving them then...er nevermind. :blush:
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    civil eggineer wrote:
    Mr brother owns the best pizza restaurant in 100 miles. I don't even eat there any more because my pizza's are at whole another level. That's not brag...just the facts! ;)

I hear more moaning and sighing when serving them then...er nevermind. :blush:
    Sorry, Tim, I wasn't clear. I have made a ton of pizzas on my eggs, and there is nothing better. However, I have never made my own dough, choosing to simply purchase the raw dough from my local pizzeria.

So, to be more clear, was your dough better than the stuff your brother puts out? In other words, was it worth the effort? TIA.

Also, as far as the moaning/sighing, I've heard a bunch more of that since the eggs came into my life, too! ;)
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    He has a different type of dough...very thin and foldable. Although I do like it, I am not sure it compells me to re-create it as the dough I make is different but equilly as good. Pizza dough is not difficult to make and I would certainly suggest you make your own rather then buying premade dough. What is challenging is trying to find that perfect balance that pushes one to tweak here and add there etc. I am like that in everything I cook but realize when I am so close that I should leave well enough alone and move on to other challenges. Differnt people like different types of pizza dough although the one criteria is the ultimate taste of the cooked dough more so then texture (I believe). Flour, bread, dough, etc. can develop wonderful flavors if the yeast is allowed to do its thing. Lots of ramble...make your own dough, it is not hard!

P.S. I have never purchased pre-made pizza dough so ignore everything I have said. ;)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Tim good for you! :) Hope you can replicate your crust with your lastest recipe.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Color in the cooked crust comes mostly from sugar content in the dough.

Salt will only affect the yeast in concentrations greater than 1% according to Peter Reinhart. In fact, salinity is a factor in long term fermentation doughs as a means to control and retard the rate of rise.

I love the science in pizza cooking.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Excellent points. Perhaps I didn't need to skip adding the salt. In fact it seemed to be rising very rapidly for sitting in a refridgerator. The entire episode was probably a fluke :( . I will know next time I attempt a pizza. Now the question...should I add salt or skip it again? The quest goes on.........