Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEW twist to competion....NEED HELP!

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been doing a local BBQ comp for the past 6 years and have done very well.....Grand Champ for two...assorted 2nd's, 1st's and 3rd's. Last year they messed around with the format and added a "set-up" catagory, plus they made it an amatuer comp....keep it "local". Well, we took third for set-up, 2nd for ribs and DQ for underdone chicken....how could that be at 185dg's!!???

Anyway....anyone have any ideas to pass along for "set-up"??? Not till August, but want to be prepared and take Grand Champion again! We would have had it last year if the chicken just came in LAST place. THANKS in advance!!!

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,

Looks like you really know what you're doin with your Q with those results! :)

I've never entered a BBQ competition. What is a "set-up" catagory? B)
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    Can't help with the set up but your quote is from Thomas Jefferson
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    If set up is like Best Site decorate according to the theme of the contest. The last time I tried that the winning team was local and had about three pickup trucks worth of stuff and they were not mini trucks. They even had a Santa sitting in the outhouse.

Any trace of blood will get a DQ in KCBS. To spicey might get you one but don't think a DQ just a low score. Im KCBS and FBA the contest Rep has to explain to you why you were DQ'ed

Good Luck,
    Poppasam