Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tomatoes

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3levels.jpg
<p />Halved romas on 2 levels with rib trimmings above with hickory and cherry for smoke.[p]The tomatoes smoked for about 5 hours between around 175 - 200 degrees.[p]
smokedmaters.jpg[p]
After the tomatoes were pulled, the pork cooked for another few hours around 240.[p]Sauteed a head of chopped garlic in olive oil, then added the tomatoes, salt and pepper.
The tomatoes had a lot of moisture left in them so it took several hours for the sauce to reduce.
The cooked pork was later chopped and added to the sauce and reduced even further.[p]
sauce.jpg[p][p]The finished sauce has a nice mild smoky flavor....nice combination with the rich flavor of the romas and the pork... it will be fun to experiment with this sauce and to use it where regular sauce is called for.
All will be frozen in small containers for winter kitchen cooking.[p]John[p][p]

Comments

• egghead2004
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    my my my mouth is watering. I've been looking for a good tomato sauce recipe from whole tomatoes rather than the canned ones for a while. Is this all there is to it?[p]

• egghead2004
    Options
    do you peel the skins after smoking or just leave the in the sauce?
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]That's about it. After smoking you can use a food mill to separate out the skins and seeds from the pulp.... this will make a smoother sauce.
    Being lazy, I just throw it all in, reduce it and take a few minutes to remove the larger bits of skin with a slotted spoon. I like a rustic sauce, tho, and roughage is good for the system ..... I leave the skin on most vegetables.
    Sautee garlic, add tomatoes, bring to gentle boil, reduce to simmer and reduce the sauce to the consistency you want.[p]You can add as many ingredients as you wish but I prefer to keep it simple.... garlic, ex virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe some fresh basil in the end..... maybe a touch of oregano. You can always add more spices and herbs later to suit whatever dish you're making.[p]Tomatoes will be much better from a local produce stand than the supermarket variety...... use home growns if you can.[p]Cook away!
    John[p]

• egghead2004
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    sound great. I usualy by the ground peeled tomatoes in the can. My wifes sister has an abundace of tomatoes in her garden. I think I'll try it your way, maybe I'll add some fresh oregano, thyme, and parsley too. [p]BTW, where did you get the extra grills? The place where I bought my BGE has no clue what I am asking for.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Man that looks good![p]smokey_ani.gif
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]of course, to smoke a lot of tomatoes, you would have to have lots of tomatoes (hint, hint)....[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    You are having WAY too much fun dewd. I need your wife's horticultural expertise. My squash/Mater garden was cranking along. Came back from vacation to wilted bug-eaten weed choked plants. What a mess. I can;t seem to grasp the fact that garden's actually take effort, attention and knowledge. :-([p]You and Wookitties are hereby invited! I'll supply the food, beverages and smiles, and you two provide the knowledge? Maybe a couple small tips?[p]Cold ones mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ