Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unbelievable Smoked Salmon - HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]I got a HEEEEEEEEE going on the BGE this weekend. I had two salmon fillets that I smoked and they were absolutely out of this world. I used the method given to me by alt last week, its posted down below but I'll tell what I did.[p]The salmon fillets were about 2 pounds each, approximately 15 inches long and 1.5 inches thick at the chest end, with the skin on. I put them in a long dish, skin side down, and sprinkled coarse grained salt, sugar, and a bit of dill weed on them. I did this layering three times. I then let them sit in the refrigerator for 36 hours. (alt said overnight, not sure if this made a difference at all) I got the grill started, indirect with firebrick, no drip pan. When the coals were going, not up to heat, just going, I threw on 4 big chunks of cherry, 2 ont he fire, 2 just outside the fire. I put the indirect setup on the grill (U with the firebricks) and put the fish on, skin side down. The grill that the fish was on had foil on it with a lot of small holes poked into it, more just to make it easy to get the fish off the grill than anything else. I never let the temp get over 250 but at 1.5 hours it was at 125 with a TON of smoke out the chimney. The temp climbed SLOWLY for the entire cook, 4 hours total, to the end temp of 250. This stuff was amazing. If you like smoked salmon, try this, you wont be disappointed. Thanks to alt for sharing the recipe. He says that he doesnt have an egg and that he cooks this methon on another grill. Try it on an egg alt and I bet you buy one. Thanks again. I have a whole salmon thats going to get this same treatment, should be interesting to cure it but I make something work.[p]Troy