Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Help!

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend gave me a venison roast - oh, about 4-5 lbs. We are not too wild about venison, but perhaps on the EGG it will be a treat. Can anyone point me in the right direction with respect to a recipe for doing a venison roast on the EGG?? Hopefully, we will be pleasantly surprised and go for more in the future. Thanks!

Comments

• Doug, Check above under 'NEW RECIPES" and locate VENISON, and there is a super recipe there..See if it fits your needs..
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    C~W, great, I found the venison recipe you pointed me to. Thanks for your help. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.I'll post how it turns out!

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Doug,
    It looks like you have it under control, but I just wanted to add a suggestion for after the big pig-out. We cooked a large venison hind-quarter just before newyear. I stuck the knife in deep in several places and inserted small slivers of garlic. We also injected it with a mixture of everything we hold dear to our hearts in the spice and seasoning area. We put a nice rub on it too and let it sit, wrapped in a plastic bag in crushed ice for 2 days. It was great. We cooked it to the temp of med-rare beef, which resulted in completely done, tender and juicy deer meat. The women and kids ate some but weren't too crazy about it because of the Bamby mindset syndrome. Before you put yours away after eating, slice it across the grain in thin strips. Put it in several quart ziploc bags and freeze all but one bag. A couple of days after that, take the meat from the un-frozen bag and brown that meat in a skillet with a little butter and some creole or cajun spices sprinkled in. Not too much butter or spices,, you want it to slightly sear. It's great for sandwiches or as the meat with a meal. Women and children will fight you for their share. Good luck.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    That's a rootin tootin good post and suggestions. Venison sometimes is a bit of a rounder in cooking to the max..You should see some of our big Bambi's up here!! Cheers..C~W[p][p]

• Daddio
    Daddio Posts: 20
    Options
    Doug,
    I had a friend that gave me a venison roast a few weeks ago. My family HATES venison. So, I marinated it overnight in the fridge with a creamy italian dressing. The next day, I took it out of the fridge and dried it off and lightly covered it with the roasted garlic Char-Crust dry rub that so many people refer to on this site. When the meat reached room temp. later that day, I cooked it low and slow for a few hours. I used a small handfull of wet apple and mesquite chips. It turned out so good that it was all eaten. I'm really hoping my buddy brings me more![p]Good Luck, Daddio[p]