Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mini Goes on Vacation

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently returned from a week on the coast of North Carolina. I knew that I needed to take my mini with me. However, halfway down 77 I realized that I had forgot to pack any lump. I was a little bummed, but I figure that it was not going to be that hard to find lump. Sometime after we picked up 70 heading east, I stopped a Wal-Mart thinking that they some but I was wrong. Now I was heading to the coast and I thought that I would never find lump.[p]About another hour or so down 70, I saw the beacon that I was looking for a BGE sitting in front of a storefront. I hung a quick U-turn and luckily for me they were still open. I was able to purchase a 10 lb bag of Hasty Bake Lump for around $8. I was thrilled.[p]I was able to cook some great meals. One night we had Rib Eyes with Cowlick and another we ate pork chops with Dizzy Pig. I also had some great big scallops that I used Island Spice Jerk Seasoning. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.[p]Enjoy,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Last year, I bought a small, thinking that it would be my camping grill. The bad news is, it's really too big and heavy to pack with all the other crud my family of 5 takes camping. The good news is, I use the small often, maybe more than the large egg.
    How is the mini in terms of travel and overall usefullness?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Borders,
    Same here with the family of five. [p]Basically, you plan on eating in shifts so to speak or have a way to keep the food warm while the rest cooks. The mini fits in a milk crate so it makes it easy to load and unload. You should be able to only pack about two coffee cans worth of Lump to last you the week. The worst problem was acquiring food to cook, it is still vacation.[p]It also depends upon where you are staying. I took my Mini to Myrtle Beach and almost got tossed from my condo because I was grilling on my balcony.[p]This time we rented part of a house that had a patio out back so I could leave the mini setup.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Borders, the mini has a nine inch diameter grill. Even if you use a second level grill, it is a pretty limited, small cooking area. Great for dogs, burgers, and steaks... any quick cooking food. It is a great cooker, but might be a challenge for multi-course meals and large meals. The small(13 inch grill) EGG can cook a lot more food...HTH

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    RhumAndJerk and Slaganater,
    Thanks for the info. Sounds alot more travel friendly than the small. Who am I kidding? I'll end up with a mini before my next camping trip, when it finally cools down. Even with the limitations, it has to be a vast improvement over my current "camp" cooking.
    Slaganater, you weren't kidding about the small egg. It's a great cooker.[p]Scott