Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first low and slow....

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and I've got no pit minder / bbqguru thingamabobby, so I am doing this freestyle. I don't want to foul my first one up too bad or the wife may not fall for it again. [p]Please submit your best (and semi-easiest) recipe that, in all likelihood, I won't screw up, and I will be forever in your debt. [p]Details are as follows: [p]I have a large Egg. I also have a playstation2 that doesn't work and an Xbox that does work, but that's not important right now. The subject is a 6.5 pound boston butt with no bone. I don't like really spicy bbq, so neutral is better. I would like to eat between 6pm and 8pm Saturday night.[p]Don't bother phrasing your responses in the form of a question. I'll settle for a winning recipe that doesn't violate trade secrets, the geneva convention, or any local or state laws. [p]If you'd rather keep your recipe private and just between me and you (wink wink), you can email me at my profile address.[p]Thanks in advance for your advice, expertise, and your patience.[p]

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Mark,
    Your a funny man. I'm gonna give you the link to Elder Ward's and Naked Whiz's pulled pork, as a great description of "how to".
    I dont follow either method to the T, but you'll find what's important to you and what's not.
    Finally, in my opinion, the REAL flavor in pulled pork comes from hickory smoke and the slow cooking of the pork itself. The rest is just gravy. Although I haven't done it, i think you could make a top notch butt, by rubbing with yellow mustard, then seasoning with kosher salt, turbinado(cane) sugar and fresh ground pepper, and egging to perfection.
    Good luck,
    Scott

[ul][li]Ward and Whiz pulled pork[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Borders,[p]Thanks Borders. I will look over the responses carefully, and if yours is selected, I will mail you a sample of the finished product. Of course, I won't bother vacuum sealing it or sending it any other way except snail mail, so you might want to smell the envelope first. If you live in a southern state, the product may have begun to turn...
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Mark, I think a picture will suffice.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Borders,[p]then per your request, so it shall be.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Starting at 6 pm Friday - buy a case of beer and start drinkin and playing cards.
    2am - open pork butt - coat with yellow mustard. drink a beer. Put butt in plastic bag (2 gallon baggie) and back in frig.[p]2:30'ish Have another beer and make your favorite rub.[p]Mine is 8 parts sugar, 3 parts brown sugar, 4 parts kosher salt, 5 parts paparika, 1 part each of black pepper, oinon powder and dry mustard.[p]3 am - crack open another cold beer and put your feet up and count your poker winnings. Maybe Bobby Flay will be on the food network talkin about BBQ'in (what we call grillin).[p]4 am - Probably time to have another beer. open the rub and get the pork out of the frig. Rub dat butt real good with your rub. Put it back in the baggie and back in the frig. [p]4:30 am - Load up the egg with charcoal to above the fire ring. Wash your hands and have another beer.[p]5:00 am - Start the BGE fire. Don't recommend having a beer here until the fire is started. Then by all means have another beer. Set the daisy wheel and openings to reach the magic low and slow temp of 225. Creep up on it .. don't go blowin by it ... its hard to reel those eggs back in once they get fired up.[p]6 AM - Have some breakfast - another beer. Toss on some hickory or maybe some pecan wood chunks - should be about 225 dome. Wait about 15 minutes for all the major smoke to subside and put that butt on the BGE ... don't forget the drip pan.[p]6:30 AM - Go to bed or pass out for about 8 hours.[p]2PM - insert a probe into the meat (perferably one you can leave in it to monitor the meat). Time for another beer. I don't insert the probe into the meat until later because its just agony watching it sit there slowly cookin .. like watchin grass grow. [p]If the pork hasn't reached 175 by 4 pm - time for some more beer and wrap that bad boy in some foil. You might need to crank up da temperature to about 250 if she is not cooking fast enough.[p]Sometime after 5 pm - or when the pork reaches 190-195. Pull it from BGE and shut her down. Rest it on the counter till the internal reaches about 170 ... she will peak around 197 or 200 then cool off. Probably will take about 90 minutes ... while you are waiting maybe you could have another beer.[p]If for some reason you butt reaches temperature too fast - never fear. Have another beer and put it in a cooler with some fresh out of the dryer towels. She will keep wrapped in foil for several hours.[p]The key to cookin low and slow is to stay relaxed, have fun and drink beer. The butt will know if you get all tensed up ... [p]When she hits 170 ... ring the dinner bell and pull that fantastic pork in front of everyone. You might want to wear a plastic glove .. I routinely burn my fingers.[p]Oh ... you might have momma make some sides .. beans an such.[p]Serve on a cheap hamburger bun (with or without sauce).[p]Eat your fill then drink another beer, take a shower and go to sleep. You got church on Sunday ya know.[p][p]

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Low and Slow ... a typical pork butt cook,[p]I may have to try this one. However, to be sure I get the timing down, I may try to follow just the beer drinking part the first time, and I won't cook the pork until I know that I can do that part right. [p]Seriously, thanks for the effort filled submission. I will post it on the fridge with the other suggestions, and whichever one my urchin picks, I will try. [p]I will then post photos of the results.[p]thanks again...
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I'm with Borders. You can't get much better than the advice of the Whiz, and Elder. Both tecniques are similar and probably have gotten more people off on the right foot doing lo and slo's than anyone else, on this forum at least.
    Hammer

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    33%3B4384%3B23232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D85%3C%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E232349747%3B%3B3%3Bot1lsi
    <p />Mark Backer,[p]Here's a picture of my first lo and slo. A picnic roast I pulled. Turned out perfectly.[p]Used Elder Ward's advice. I've learned you don't need to go nuts piling up your lump. I just dump it in and nestle it down lightly with the ash tool and I've cooked 26 hours with no problem. If you like playing, pile your lump like Mr. Ward says. [p]Get Bill Wise's cookbook off his sight or the Wiz site. It has all good rubs. Rendezveauz (sp?), Memphis, and Rub #1 are all wonderful. [p]Use Hickory when you start your cook. A good fist sized chunk.[p]I like the Piedmont Sauce from Elder Wards recipe A WHOLE FRIGGIN' LOT. You will also. [p]I'd put the thing on at 11 p.m. If it finishes early, it will hold heat for a long time in a towel and a cooler, but if it isn't finished, your wife won't be happy.[p]Let us know how it turns out.