Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breast, up or down?

Options
jbrodie
jbrodie Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read on this forum that someone cooks their turkey breast facing down and then turns it over for the last hour of cooking. Would someone please explain what the advantage of this is? Thanks, Jim.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    jbrodie, If you cooked it in a rack sitting in a pan, then the rotation allows the lower back and legs to be exposed to the higher heat levels of the upper dome area, and evens out the cook..also slows down the breast cook.
    Preserves moisture in the meats.
    Best reason I know of..![p]

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    jbrodie, My mother-in-law always cooked her turkeys upside down. She said it was to keep it the breast juicy. But then I have seen her forget to take the paper wraped guts out before cooking it for severaL hours. Go figure.

• Unknown
    Options
    jbrodie, the breast down might be just fine , but here's what works fer me...breast up in a v-rack and drip pan...to retain moisture, take about a stick of room temp butter and mix in any spices you like and put half of it underneath the skin of the breast on one side and the other half on the other side...run some boney little finger all the way back to the other end of the breast to loosen the skin up first though and when you put the wad of butter under there just smooth and flattn it out with your hand. The egg will cook that turkey and leave it juicy all by itself, this just makes it betta. Buy a Butterball brand to hedge your bet.