Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

what are your favoriate long cooks?

Eggin in PeoriaEggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited 8:28PM in EggHead Forum
Looking for some inspiration for long cooks (>4 hours). I've done the norms - brisket, ribs, pork butt.

Thanks!
Tim

Comments

• BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Beans, Stews, Chili in the C.I.D.O

Pit Beef, but that may be less than 4 hrs.
  • danny285danny285 Posts: 360
    Pork Butts are the longest i have ever done about 6 hrs. Ribs take about 2.5 hrs.
  • danny285danny285 Posts: 360
    Sitting here now looking for a brown bean DO cook receipt.
  • Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,230
    Where do u find that one? I'm thinking about beans to go with my butt on Sat
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Are you being serious?

General consensus is that ribs take 5-6 hours and butts are normally in the 12-18+ hour range.
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Look at something like Clay Q's pulled beef. I use a chuck roast, although I use the the 70lb+ whole chuck and cover it with bacon. It's a good 10-14 hour cook. Then I chop it up in sauce. Excellent!
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,111
    Kosher salt 36 hours hickory wood at 250F
  • Smut-buttSmut-butt Posts: 142
    Brisket and a "sloe" gin fizz.
  • misfitmisfit Posts: 358
    Some may think "salt, for real"? I had a friend send me some habanero smoked salt, and I wish that I could duplicate it. Salt that you don't even need food for...
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    I did a 9 lb 23 hr pork butt once.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 474
    CBBQ wrote:
    Look at something like Clay Q's pulled beef. I use a chuck roast, although I use the the 70lb+ whole chuck and cover it with bacon. It's a good 10-14 hour cook. Then I chop it up in sauce. Excellent!

70 lbs????? goodness gracious and only 10-14 hours???

My longest is a 13 hour brisquit.....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Well I enjoy hickory smoked pulled beef BBQ using chuck roasts for all day egging. :woohoo:
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    LOL. I cut it into roasts. I end up with about 12 of them. The price is much cheaper if I buy them from the suppliers that way.
  • I haven’t done anything real big or real long yet, but I’ve got two 9lb. butts on the slate for mid June :woohoo: !!
    So far the longest cooks I’ve done are in the four to eight hour range:
    Smoked turkeys
    Chuck roasts
    Country style ribs
    Ham
    Ranch Beans
    Gumbo