Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Fall off the bone" chicken -- beyond spatchcocked

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For a long while, I have been quasi-spatchcocking my chicken halves -- they are not really flattened, just cut the chicken in half and cut out the backbone. And I have been doing them at 300, half an hour on each side, and then crisping it up at the end.[p]But my wife likes her chicken REALLY well done -- not tough, of course, but falling off the bone. So, reluctantly, I began doing the chicken for a total of 90 minutes -- half an hour on each side at 300, then shut the vents almost all the way for another half hour [a semi-dwell], and then crisp it up at the last minute [open the vents and flip 'em a couple of times].[p]I hate to admit it, but I like it this way. Very, very tender -- need two spatulas to take these floppy things off the grill -- moist, and deeply smokey, with crispy skin. The breast meat does not dry out, even though I expected it would.[p]I know that this is basically steamed chicken, but it's darn good.